cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a NBU Vault Policy without a TLD being defined.

Ron_Cohn
Level 6

The other day, I asked how to create a NBU SLP so I could use Data Domain Replication to our DR site.  The answers I received were most helpful (even though Symantec has yet to mark it solved).

In doing additional testing, a NBU Vault policy works much better than a SLP in duplicating Data Domain data to our DR site.  Since I already have a TLD defined, pointing NBU Vault to another storage unit is no big deal.  However one day, I will be getting rid of my TLD.

So the question is, if doable, is how to create a NBU Vault policy without a TLD or how to create a virtual TLD.  Presently mu Master and Media Servers (2 out of 3) are virtual.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You can't create a vault profile without a 'library' - not possble.

Vault is designed for physical media (tapes) - and if you look at the setup of vault, the 'profile' is at the bottom, above that is 'the vault' and above that, the library.

You can create vault wth a VTL - it is setup exactly the same as if for a real physicl libraary, however, you may wish to skip the 'eject' step ...

I'm interested as to why vault dupicates better than SLP - vault uses bpduplicate command to make the copy.  SLP uses the bpduplicate command to make the copy, it is exactly the same.  However, the vault images are 'batched' up to be copied is different, so maybe this is where you preference is.

SLP is way more powerful - for a start, nothing will expire until it is successfully copied, vault does not respect this - if an image is not copied with vault, it will expire (if it reaches the expire time), this will not happen with SLP.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

... even though Symantec has yet to mark it solved.... 

As thread owner, YOU should choose a Solution and mark it as such... Or select multiple posts with 'Request Split Solution'.   **** OOPS! You did! ****

I believe SLP is the way to go. 

Please tell us in what way you believe Vault is better?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You can't create a vault profile without a 'library' - not possble.

Vault is designed for physical media (tapes) - and if you look at the setup of vault, the 'profile' is at the bottom, above that is 'the vault' and above that, the library.

You can create vault wth a VTL - it is setup exactly the same as if for a real physicl libraary, however, you may wish to skip the 'eject' step ...

I'm interested as to why vault dupicates better than SLP - vault uses bpduplicate command to make the copy.  SLP uses the bpduplicate command to make the copy, it is exactly the same.  However, the vault images are 'batched' up to be copied is different, so maybe this is where you preference is.

SLP is way more powerful - for a start, nothing will expire until it is successfully copied, vault does not respect this - if an image is not copied with vault, it will expire (if it reaches the expire time), this will not happen with SLP.

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The main purpose of Vault is tape ejection and tracking. If your never "ejecting" tapes, Vault is kind of overkill. I am with Marianne, SLP will do just fine for you. 

Ron_Cohn
Level 6

Why NBU Vault is better than SLP:

01)  Allows me to control when and what I want to duplicate.  NBU Vault shines in this area.

02)  Can very easily throttle the number of concurrent duplication jobs.  This is done at the NBU Vault policy level.

03)  If copy 2 is somehow deleted, NBU Vault will recreate it while it is still within its window.

04)  Do not have to create a new SLP everytime I want to change the storage unit or retention period when an SLP does not exist for that combination.  By default, NBU Vault uses the retention setting of the source image.  Also, we have defined multiple mTrees and retention periods.  We would need an SLP for each of the possible combinations.

This is just for starters...