cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting a policy in GUI doesn't delete /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images

Sowjanya
Level 4

Hi .

When we delete a policy why the related folder under the following path is not deleted.
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/

When we recreate the policy for same server then the old backup calculations come in to picture again.

I need to know the reason for keeping the information under above directory even after deleting a policy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If user do not want the previous backups to exist even....

You will have to expire all backup image info for this client.

The easiest way is to find backup images for client in Catalog - Verify section of the GUI.

Select Client name and a start date.

You will see a list of images found for the client.
You can right-click and select Expire.

Please get expiration instruction in writing. 
Backup retention is a business requirement.
Expiration can be seen as breach of SLA... 

Another way is to get list of valid images for client with bpimagelist command and then expire with bpexpdate.
(Command usage with -help option or the Commands manual.)

PS: 
Expiring backup catalog info will only wipe/delete actual backed up data if the backups are on disk.
Nothing is done to tape.
Only when all images on a tape have expired will the tape be 'deassigned' and available for overwrite.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6

Correct.

Policies are kept in /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class folder.

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/ is where valid, unexpired catalog information about backups for clients are kept.

Deleting a policy does not expire client images. You can still restore from them.

You may want to read up about NBU Catalogs in NBU Admin Guide I:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5157 

Chapter 17 Topics: 
About the NetBackup catalog
Parts of the NetBackup catalog

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Just because you delete a policy, does not mean that you want to delete the backup image data.

For example, I may create a policy Dail_backup and run it for a week, then see I made a spelling mistake, so I delete and recreate the policy (Daily_backup).  Of course the backups on the first policy are still valid, even though the policy was mis-spelt.

Deleting a policy, therefore will not touch the 'files' in /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images

NBU is working as designed.

Sowjanya
Level 4

But my concern is , If user do not want the previous backups to exist even. He totally wants to have fresh information without the previous backups occupying space ,then it might not be possible right?

Marianne
Level 6

If user do not want the previous backups to exist even....

You will have to expire all backup image info for this client.

The easiest way is to find backup images for client in Catalog - Verify section of the GUI.

Select Client name and a start date.

You will see a list of images found for the client.
You can right-click and select Expire.

Please get expiration instruction in writing. 
Backup retention is a business requirement.
Expiration can be seen as breach of SLA... 

Another way is to get list of valid images for client with bpimagelist command and then expire with bpexpdate.
(Command usage with -help option or the Commands manual.)

PS: 
Expiring backup catalog info will only wipe/delete actual backed up data if the backups are on disk.
Nothing is done to tape.
Only when all images on a tape have expired will the tape be 'deassigned' and available for overwrite.