cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determining tapes for BMR recovery

mich2w
Level 3
Hello,

We had a disaster recently where I have needed to recover 8-10 servers using BMR.  The BMR has worked well, and almost all servers are now recovered.

However it has taken longer than I had hoped as we needed to recover tapes from offsite, and I didn't know which tapes to recover until halfway through the BMR - when the restore job requests the tapes.  There has also been one job that required 2 offsite tapes, but the job has requested one at a time dragging the restore out.

My question is, how can we determine which tapes are needed for a particular server before the BMR job commences.  That way we could retrieve all necessary tapes for all servers as the first step.

TIA

Mic
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mich2w
Level 3

I've noticed that there is no policy type for BMR in BAR, so if it's a Windows server that needs to be restored do I choose MS-Windows-NT as the 'policy type for restores'?  Again for BMR will I need to select the last full backup, and the last cumulative / differential backup?

For simplicity it would be great if there was a command line that could be run to determine the tapes needed.

TIA

Mic

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mich2w
Level 3
Should say "However it has taken longer than I had hoped as we needed to retrieve tapes from offsite"

THANKS

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee
I think you can use NBU backup-restore admin GUI and verify whole backup of the client that you want to restore.

Thanks.
-Mandar

Rajesh_s1
Level 6
Certified
In the BAR (Backup Archive Restore) GUI select the client which you needs to be restored and select the backup which you need to recover and then check all selection and in the Action tab you will have a tab "preview media" there its show which medias are required for restore . 

One more thing if you have multiple copies of the same images then it will show only the 1st copy over here . You need to check that in the catalog .....

mich2w
Level 3

I've noticed that there is no policy type for BMR in BAR, so if it's a Windows server that needs to be restored do I choose MS-Windows-NT as the 'policy type for restores'?  Again for BMR will I need to select the last full backup, and the last cumulative / differential backup?

For simplicity it would be great if there was a command line that could be run to determine the tapes needed.

TIA

Mic

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee
For BMR there is not separate policy type. In case of Windows, choose MS_WINDOWS as you said.
BMR can restore any point in time out of full, incremental, cummulative or synthetic backup. In case you select "current" config for restore then the latest backup will be considered for restore. Now it depends which one you are intended to restore. You need to select that one for verification.

I am not sure on the CLI. Someone can comment on this.

Thanks.
-Mandar

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

bpimagelist -client <client_name> -d <start_date> -e <end_date> -media