cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster Recovery file not getting emailed by catalog backup policy

lopaka
Level 3

Hello,

Our hot catalog backup policy use to email the Disaster Recovery file as configured in the policy.  Then after a few weeks, it stopped, but the catalog backup would still run.  Debugging this issue, i got the following errors from  logs/bpdbm:

09:26:38.221 [18829] <2> exec_catalog_DR_protection: Sending DR image info via email
09:26:38.262 [18829] <4> db_DR_generate_report: ?
09:26:38.624 [18829] <16> db_DR_generate_report: Buffer passed to db_DR_generate_report for mail message is too small
09:26:38.624 [18829] <16> generate_and_send_dr_mail: Could not generate DR report

Can anyone help?  Been looking thru docs but found nothing about this 'Buffer'.  And support just sent me the same Admin docs I've been reading.

Thanks.

Lopaka

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lopaka
Level 3

Clearing out the "Critical Policies" list did it.  Thanks sdw303!

This made the size of the Disaster Recovery file much smaller.

Since I have the catalogs getting backed up to tape, I just need the emailed Disaster Recovery file to tell me about the location of the backed up catalog.  Policies in "Critical Policies" have this catalog info sent in the DR file, which is why it was getting larger.  This was a bit difficult for me to understand from the official documentation.

Thanks again!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
what the NBU and OS version? and what is the buffer size that you have configured?

lopaka
Level 3

NBU version: 6.5.2

I could not find the documentation on how to find or alter this 'Buffer' used to send the DR file via email.

Thanks. 

lopaka
Level 3

Altering the buffers did nothing.  Here are what they are set to:

NET_BUFFER_SZ: 1024000

SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS: 262144

NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS: 16

Still getting the error:

"db_DR_generate_report: Buffer passed to db_DR_generate_report for mail message is too small"

Some info that may help:

Size of last successfully emailed DR file:  298K

Size of first failed emailed DR file:  312K

Current size of the newest DR file:  418K

I'm thinking that I may have to create multiple Hot Catalog Backup policies and split the "Critical Policies".

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Message Edited by lopaka on 10-28-2008 11:46 AM

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

The NetBackup 45 day digest, found here:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/NBUESVR_digest.htm

...contains a link to the v6.5.2 LBN (Late Breaking News), here:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/307880.htm

...which in turn has an article:

BUG REPORT: After applying the NetBackup 6.5.2 release update, Hot Catalog Backups fail with NetBackup status codes 42 (network read failed) and 2 (none of the requested files were backed up) when the Critical Policies list contains entries.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/304975.htm

Can I suggest you try your hot catalog backup with an empty "critical policies" list?

IMHO - All NetBackup Admins should check the 45 day digest every day, or at least every other day:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/NBUESVR_digest.htm

...and/or register for critical product "alerts" here:

http://maillist.entsupport.symantec.com

HTH.

geoff_ray
Not applicable

The bug report indicated in the previous post is for Windows Masters, and as indicated in the original post, the catalog backups still work.

I am seeing the same behavior (no disaster recovery email being generated) and the same error messages in my log files.  I am running NetBackup Server 6.5GA on a Solaris 9 SPARC host.  I have recreated a new Catalog Backup policy using the wizard, but I am seeing the same behavior.  I have attempted to add a small subset of the policies in the critical policy window, and I have tried it with no policies selected, and I am still seeing the same behavior.  I upgraded from 6.0MP3 to 6.5GA to see if it would fix the problem, but I am still seeing the same problem.  I have reviewed the docs as well, and looked through the links indicated in this thread and nothing seems applicable.  I am using some of the goodie scripts to send backup summaries, so sendmail is working.

If you receive any applicable notes or direction offline, please update this thread!

Thanks

Message Edited by geoff_ray on 10-30-2008 08:49 AM

lopaka
Level 3

Clearing out the "Critical Policies" list did it.  Thanks sdw303!

This made the size of the Disaster Recovery file much smaller.

Since I have the catalogs getting backed up to tape, I just need the emailed Disaster Recovery file to tell me about the location of the backed up catalog.  Policies in "Critical Policies" have this catalog info sent in the DR file, which is why it was getting larger.  This was a bit difficult for me to understand from the official documentation.

Thanks again!