cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster recovery file from UNIX to Windows?

Glo
Level 4
Am I supposed to be able to send a (6.5.3 online catalog backup) disaster recovery file from a UNIX server to a Windows server? If yes, then I'll ask my Windows admins for help. If no, then I'll choose a different method. Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

schmaustech
Level 5

Are you asking if you can put the Catalog DR file onto a Windows host if your master server is a Unix host?  If the Windows host has NFS on it, then the Unix master server could act as a NFS client and mount that share and then write the file to it.  Similarly if you have a CIFS share on the Windows host, and the master has the Samba client on it, you could then mount the CIFS share to Unix and write your file out.

Another option would be to email it to an email account that could store it on your mail server.

That is if I understand your question.

Regards,

Benjamin Schmaus

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I would talk to support. My first response is NO.

there is a big difference between windows and Unix.

when I went from a windows master to a Unix master I HAD to hire Symantec consulting to convert my catalog.

Stumpr2
Level 6
choose a different method

F_J
Level 4

Cross-platform migration is only supported by consulting.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/267137

Glo
Level 4

Right -- 6.5 is new to me, and while configuring the online catalog backup on my Solaris server, I wondered how many assumptions were behind the "Disaster Recovery" tab's suggestion that I send the file to a Windows server.

Thanks to everybody who replied with such excellent suggestions.

F_J
Level 4

Sorry, I misunderstood the initial question, I thought it had to do with migration.

You may have problems writing to Windows shares from Unix - choose a different method.