cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to add a backup host to validate credentials if I'm going to use media servers as backup hosts?

Juannillus
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello all,

we are creating a new NBU domain. Master is Linux Suse 11. NBU is 7504. and I have a doubt. We are going to use the media servers (suse 11) as backup hosts for the vmware backups. When I try to add a virtual center credentials, the window remains open for ever.

We haven't added any backup host, because we are not going to use them. My question is: do i have to add all media servers as backup host in the master host properties? Is it necessary to add at least one backup host to validate credential, being able to delete it afterwards?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Juan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Ok - so 7.5.0.3 added the following as valid VMWare Backup Hosts:

SUSE 10 SP4
SUSE 11 (64bit) SP1 and SP2

Have you tried adding them as VMWare backup hosts even though you use Media Server when configuring the policy

As NetBackup talks to vCenter via the VMWare backup host i am not sure without at least a policy being configured where it would look to do the communication when adding in your vCenter

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

You cannot do a VMWare backup without a VMWare backup host so you need to add these first.

When you add a vCenter server it uses the VMWare backup host to do the validation checks, not the Master Server and so you must add those before adding a vCenter server

Hope this helps

Juannillus
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello Mark,

yes, I understand that. My doubt is if I have to add the media servers which act as backup hosts.

We have a domain where some backup hosts are present in the host properties, but after updating to 7504, we have started using the media servers as bakup hosts instead, without having them (the media servers) in the master host properties.

IE:

bp.conf entries:

VM_PROXY_SERVER = backuphost1
VM_PROXY_SERVER = backuphost2

But we are using mediaserver1 to perform as backup host nowadays.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself. If it's not clear let me know and I'll try to explain myself better.

Based in the manual, and in your own answer, the answer would be yes, but as they are working in the old environment without being registered in the master server as backup hosts, I wonder if they are necesary just to validate the credentials.

Thanks for your time,

Regards,

Juan

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Everything you do VMWare wise in NetBackup uses the VMWare Backup Host as the communications pipe

So when you browse in a policy for clients or test a query all of the processing is done by the backup host.

To see if your old ones are still doing all of this for you just look in the c:\temp or c:\windows\temp directory on them and you will see all of the calls being made to your vCenter by them

However, in NetBackup 7.5 it can be the Master or Media Server so as long as that is specified in a VMWare Policy on the VMWare tab (just select Media Server) then you do not need anything in the Master Servers Host Properties

Sorry if i confused things earlier - after 7.5 you do not need to specify a media server in the ,masters host properties

Juannillus
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Mark,

but if I try to add credential for the vcenter without any backup host, it doesn't work. It keeps the pop up tab open for ever (at least 1 hour, I've closed the console after that). That's why I'm asking if I need to add one backup host (even if it is the media server) to be able to add the credentials, and erase it later.

Again, thanks for your time.

Regards,

Juan

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

It shouldn't do but i bet most people are still in the habit of adding the media servers as VMWare backup hosts anyway so would never have noticed!

I know it is a back to front way of doing it but have you created a policy yet - this would tell the Master to use the Media Server

I have just spotted something though ....

Your Media Servers are SUSE 11 - from the 7.5.0.5 release notes:

The NetBackup 7.5.0.5 release offers the following new enhancements:
■ VMware backup host is now supported for the following operating systems:
■ Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.5 x64
■ Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.3 x64

So other than Windows i am not sure your SUSE servers will work - let me double check (but it would explain it!)

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Ok - so 7.5.0.3 added the following as valid VMWare Backup Hosts:

SUSE 10 SP4
SUSE 11 (64bit) SP1 and SP2

Have you tried adding them as VMWare backup hosts even though you use Media Server when configuring the policy

As NetBackup talks to vCenter via the VMWare backup host i am not sure without at least a policy being configured where it would look to do the communication when adding in your vCenter

Juannillus
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Mark,

yes, we have already tried to add them as backup host and they work as wanted. Once I have added at least one, I can add the vcenter credentials correctly. But based in the manual, and what I've been reading, it is supposed thatit is not necessary to add them as backup hosts (as you suggested too), however I can't add the credentials without at least one. Just wanted to know if I had an underlying problem because of not being able to add the credentials without backup host.

Thanks for you time.

Regards,

Juan

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

My feeling is that the manuals are incorrect, but you would probably need to put this past support.

All vCenter communications (adding the credentials and the 8 hourly update of the clients list for queries etc.) should be done by the VMWare backup host.

I dont see that without one, even though "Media Server" is specified in the Policy it would work correctly.

Maybe the policy selection gets round the 8 hourly query update (you could test that by removing the backup hosts and then doing a query refresh in a policy) but it doesn't look like the initial credentials section works without it

I always add my backup hosts in, whether they are media servers or not, but that is probably just habit

It wouldn't be the first time the manuals were wrong so maybe worth raising a case to get it clarified - may even be a bug!

Juannillus
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Mark,

I'm not sure if the client would like to open a case regarding this. If I get them to open itI'll post here the answer from support, meanwhile we will add the media servers asbackup hosts.

Thanks for your time and your help.

Kind regards,

Juan