cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does NDMP_PROGRESS_TIMEOUT apply to nb7.x and up?

MattS
Level 6

I'm trying to figure out if the NDMP_PROGRESS_TIMEOUT setting has been depricated in NB7 and up.  Articles refering to this option as a fix only show versions below NB 7 in the applied to section.  NB7.0 and 7.0.1 release notes don't mention anything about it.

Anyone know?

Also, i see a lot reference to /usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/ndmp.cfg but on my 7.0.1 master and media servers currently using ndmp, this file doesnt exist...thoughts?

NB7.0.1

NDMP client = NetApp 7.3.3

Thanks for any info,

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I couldn't find any documentation either, but the setting IS in 7.x.  Default is 480 (8 hours) and the maximum allowable value is 10080 (7 days).  We'll update TECH21246 :)

DOCUMENTATION: How to change and set the Network Data Management Protocol (NDMP) progress timeout value.
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH21246

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CRZ
Level 6

I couldn't find any documentation either, but the setting IS in 7.x.  Default is 480 (8 hours) and the maximum allowable value is 10080 (7 days).  We'll update TECH21246 :)

DOCUMENTATION: How to change and set the Network Data Management Protocol (NDMP) progress timeout value.
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH21246

dennis_sexton
Level 5

Doesn't setting this tie up a tape drive for a long time? It seems to me that even the default value of 8 hours is way too long. With EMC ndmp,    you only have 4 tape drives supported. It doesn't seem like a good idea to make a tape drive unavailable for such a long time.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Great to have you around, Chris! We appreciate you! Most Symantec Employees that I know don't even bother with the User forums...

MattS
Level 6

I was expecting that you just put in a request to have the docs updated, but you actually updated the document! Great customer service Chris, thanks!

Matt

MattS
Level 6

It doesnt tie it up for the entire timeout, when the jobs complete it should free the drive up.  The way i understand it is that it's just a limit on the amount of time an NDMP session can last, weether it's completed or not!  So in my case, one of my ndmp backups can sometimes take beyond 8 hours.

I also have a VTL so these virtual drives are dedicated to ndmp and not shared with other backup processes.

CRZ
Level 6

Thanks Marianne and Matt,

I think you're seeing a lot more employee participation than you did a couple years ago.  Mandar and Rasheed in particular are real rock stars - they answer a lot of actual difficult questions, whereas I'm just picking cherries :)

There are also a few folks with the green "Tech Support" badge who pop in from time to time, but I know they're incredibly busy working cases and sometimes can't spare the time to visit the forum.

And of course it doesn't help that even after two years this place is STILL well nigh impossible to navigate from thread to thread.  Any day now that'll get fixed, though, I'm sure...  ;)

I am certain we'll continue to improve!