cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrading a Master Server to a Media Server to a new Master Server

Patrick_Whelan_
Level 6
I need to downgrade a master server to a media server. I'm thinking that as long as I move the netback\db folders to the new master server and leave the volmgr info on the old master that should just about do it. But I would like some recommendations from anyone who may have tried this. Or another way of doing it. The new master server has not been used in anger yet. Any suggestions.
4 REPLIES 4

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Hi,

I recommend that after you move or merge the DB in to your new Master to uninstall NBU in this box and ensure u remove any folder and Netbackup related file, then perform a clean new media server install, with this u will avoid a bunch of posible future problems and you will only need to add this box into the new Master server config.

Hope this helps.
Regards

Patrick_Whelan_
Level 6
So, then I do a bprecover of the media information back to the "new" media server? I still need the information about the tapes etc.

Also, I forgot to mention that this is 5.1MP6.

Do you think it would be easier to upgrade to 6.5, then introduce the new master server and down grade the old one?

Stumpr2
Level 6

Patrick Whelan wrote:
 The new master server has not been used .

Set up new master with the old master's name and IP and that will save a lot of problems with client configuration of the master name in the bp.conf files and will keep you setup for firewall rules.

Install base NetBackup on new master and tar the /usr/openv on old master and extract it on new master. I like this better because it will catch any modifications that were made on the old master. You will also need to copy any scripts and cron entries that exist on the old onto the new master server.

Message Edited by Stumpr on 01-13-2008 05:51 PM

Patrick_Whelan_
Level 6
Thanks Bob,

Using a different name for the new master shouldn't be a problem as long as we add it as a server from the old master, then make it the master later. However, my concern is that the old master will still be used as a media server, and the new master is also a media server for a differenct robot. So if I restore /usr/openv (I wish; it is C:\... ) that will move the robotics and drive information to the new master/media, even though it does not see this hardware. I'm sure I'm not making myself clear, but if you have specific questions that might make it easier to explain more fully.