cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dozens of tapes showing up in library "slot 0" or no slot at all

Wile_E__Coyote
Level 4

For some reason, Netbackup lists dozens, maybe hundreds, of tapes as being in library slot 0, or being in the library but not in a slot. The tapes are definitely NOT in the library. They are all stored offsite, and verified to be at the offsite storage site.

We just noticed this, but it appears to have been going on for quite a while now.

The library is a Scalar i6000 if that makes a difference. Running Netbackup 7.0.1.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you run robtest, and the comand

s s

Do the taoes show in the correct slots

1.  If they do not, you have a library issue

2.  If they look correct, then I would move all the tapes in NBU to 'standalone' and them re-run the inventory.

Martin

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Wile_E__Coyote
Level 4

Turns out that ALL my tapes are showing up as being in the robot. My entire inventory.

Anything that has been removed and sent offsite still shows up in Netbackup as being in the robot.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What is robot type? TLD? ACS? Something else?

Was robot inventoried after tapes have been removed?
Or Eject option in the GUI used to eject and update location?

Sound like someone may have manually 'moved' tapes in NBU?

Stumpr2
Level 6

Unfortunately this sounds like you should work the issue through symantec support. Sounds like maybe the volume groups changed.

Wile_E__Coyote
Level 4

It shows as a TLD library.

The operators exchange tapes in the library every day, and they have a procedure to do it through Netbackup using the MAP. That does an automatic inventory.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you run robtest, and the comand

s s

Do the taoes show in the correct slots

1.  If they do not, you have a library issue

2.  If they look correct, then I would move all the tapes in NBU to 'standalone' and them re-run the inventory.

Martin

Wile_E__Coyote
Level 4

Yes, the tapes are fine in the library.

Apparently it has been this way for months. Maybe since the beginning when we installed this library in 2010.

The operator stumbled on to the problem completely by mistake. Everything has been working fine as-is and there is no reason to believe it will change any time soon.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

So just so I am clear, you are seeing tapes in NBU that show in the library slots, that when you check in the library (via robtest) they are not there ...

IIf so, I would do as I suggested, move the tapes to standalone (select, right click, select move, set so they are not in a library).

Then, run inventory.

Does this make things look any better ...

M

Marianne
Level 6

Maybe show us a screenshot of what you are seeing?

Wile_E__Coyote
Level 4

Sorry, I had no idea there was still interest... I was not receiving any alerts that anyone had replied.

I just checked, and the problem seems to have cleared itself up since the operators last complained about it.

The problem was like this:

• Under "Media", under "Robots", select "TLD(0)"...
  • *EVERY* tape that had *EVER* been in that robot showed up in the list.
  • 1500+ tapes. The robot only has 600 licensed slots.
  • Any tape that wasn't physically in a slot in the robot had its slot listed as "0" or blank.
  • Verified that several of the "slot 0" or "slot blank" tapes were either in the rack or offsite. Not in the library.

Marianne
Level 6

Did the problem really go away 'by itself' or was any of the advice followed?

Martin's post looked like a good solution.... 

Wile_E__Coyote
Level 4

I did nothing to try to solve the problem.

Things were working on Friday the 29th and appeared to have been that way for some time so I left it until Monday. Other things took precedence and then I took a couple days off.

When I logged in this morning, the problem was gone.

Tapes get swapped out of the library every day out there, so it probably cleared up in one of the many inventories.