cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive won't write shows PEND-TLD status

scratch
Not applicable

I currently have have a library with two LTO 4 tape drives installed. My drive 2 will not write any data to tape, it continually goes into a PEND-TLD state and never writes to any tape.

I'm currently using Netbackup 7.0.1 running on a Windows 2008 R2 Standard Edition server

I did some searches and found the following for the PEND-TLD message

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH22063

I looked in the path specified in the technote and I did not have the ENABLE_SCSI_RESERVE file in the directory listed.  My question is this applicable for Netbackup 7.0.1 and if so where do I get this file from?

I also looked into http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH23205nn

and       gg and tried the vmoprcmd -crawlreleasebyname drive_name command but I get invalid drive name when I replace drive_name with actual drive name.  Is there a particular syntax I need to use?

I also noticed in the job details of a job that was trying to write to that particular drive I saw the following error

10/27/2011 10:39:35 AM - Error bptm(pid=8492) error requesting media, TpErrno = Robot operation failed

In my efforts to troubleshoot this issue, I have done the following:

1.Reboot tape libary 2. Reboot Backup Server 3. Clean both tape drives 4. Pull logs for tape drive and library, no errors were reported for the physical hardware. 5. Verified firmware was current for tape drives and library. 6. Reset drives 7. Manually downed drives and upped them

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

Rajesh_s1
Level 6
Certified

"10/27/2011 10:39:35 AM - Error bptm(pid=8492) error requesting media, TpErrno = Robot operation failed"

As per the error message seems to be issue with the drive path . Check whether drive paths are up or not, its better to re-run the device configuration and check .

Before running the device config look into the windows device manager and ensure that both the drives are visbile and appropriate dirvers are updated . 

And also there maight be chances of mismatch of Tape and drive type , cross verify that the drive type and media type are same for both drives ...

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You have done quite a lot of troubleshooting before posting here - great stuff!

TECH22063 is VERY, VERY old, written for NBU 3.4.1 when SSO and SCSI_RESERVE in a shared environment was VERY new...no need for the file - SCSI_RESERVE is automatically enabled in recent versions.

Do you have a single Master/Media server or more than one server sharing the drives (SSO)? Pend status is normally seen in a shared environment, hardly ever on a standalone Master/media server.

This looks like a hardware error: "TpErrno = Robot operation failed"

Use robtest to test/verify robot operation. See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH83129

Double-check tape driver - verify that supported driver is installed (NetBackup 7 Hardware Compatibility List (HCL):   ( http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76495 ) Download updated vendor drivers if necessary.

Verify that Persistent Binding is done, otherwise OS device names might change each time the server is rebooted.

Lastly, add VERBOSE entry to ...\veritas\volmgr\vm.conf and restart NetBackup Device Manager service.

This will cause device errors to be logged in Event Viewer System and Application log.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Hi try reseting the drive at library level that sometimes sends the scsi release

pkvyas1983
Level 4

Hi All,

I our backup environment some of window servers backup failed with shadow copy component failed with 71 error code "none of file exist in the file list " & other window servers shadow copy comp. passed successfully.

Kindly some one suggest me to how to resolve this issue.

we are using netbackup 6.0 MP4, 6.0MP7, 6.5.5 backup software.

Thanks

Pradeep Vyas