cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate data on Virtual tape to Physical tape

tigerlover
Level 4

Gurus,

I am using NDMP accelerator to backup data on Isilon ( NAS) to DataDomain VTL, then need to  duplicate the data from VTLto physical library. The Isilon is connected to the physical tape drives. Can I configure the physical storage unit on the Isilon/NDMP host? Or do I need to find another Media server to configure the physical storage unit on that Media server? I would like to use the NDMP direct copy feature. VTL tape is LTO 4, Physical tape is LTO 6. Will it have any problem if they are different? Please let me know how to make it work.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I don't think Data Domain support direct to tape feature like Quantum does. If you can configure VTL tape drives on the Isilon, you can configure physical tape drives as well. Remember that OS and NBU sees VTL the same as physical tape drives. You should be able to config SLPs to automate duplications or use the GUI or bpduplicate to manually duplicate VTL media id's to the NDMP physical STU.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I would ask EMC about a possible configuration.

Is Netbackup involved in the Isilon to Data Domain VTL backup today ?

I am not sure connecting the physical tape drives to the Ision will work (but I may be wrong), I wold instead connect the tape drives to a physical media server. The media server of cause need access to both the Data Domain VTL and physical tape drives. I would SLP to do the duplicate to tape.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NBU supports Direct Attached tape drives on Isilon.
See latest HCL:  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/library/BUSINESS/xCL/TECH76495/nbu_76_hcl.pdf