cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERROR: file read failed BAR when browsing for restore

r1
Level 5

I am trying to do a restore for a windows 2008 client and when I launch the client BAR console I see the backups but when clicking one of them to restore , nothing shows up in the contents and i get this error "ERROR: file read failed"

I tried FQ names , upgraded the client binraries to match the server verion , restarted NBU , nothing works . In the bpcd log i see the following errors<4> bpcd

exit_bpcd: FTL - BPCD EXIT STATUS 46

11:07:36.383 [8420.6340] <16> process_requests: Server access denied

Much appreciate it

25 REPLIES 25

r1
Level 5

I just realized that i uploaded the wrong bprd file , please see attached for a complete restore prcoess event .sp8smp is the client i am intiating the restore from and the client in question . it's ip address ends with .35 . let me know if you need anything else . Thanks

r1
Level 5

checking back on this, any other ideas ?

RonCaplinger
Level 6

I see this repeated over and over:

Connection from host sp8smp.gtfc.com, 10.200.33.35, on non-reserved port 50124

db_valid_master_server: sp8smp.gtfc.com is not a valid server

Check the client properties from the client and make sure the master server is defined properly.  You can also verify that the client can telnet to the master server on port 1556.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

bprd log above shows connection request from sp8smp, but no request to browse or list files.

So, we still do no have a bprd log file with any record of sp8smp browsing for files or trying to restore.

bprd log only shows entries for a period of 5 minutes. Surely there is more in this log?

Depending on what kind of data and/or for which client this machine is requesting backup info for, these entries may or may not be an indication of what is wrong (at this point the severity is <2>, not an error <16> or severe error <32>):

14:08:37.621 [358] <2> db_valid_master_server: sp8smp.gtfc.com is not a valid server
14:08:37.621 [358] <2> process_request: command C_GET_HOSTINFO (114) received
14:08:37.621 [358] <2> process_request: sp8smp.gtfc.com is not a valid server for get host info

If backup was done with shortname, ensure NBU master can resolve client's IP address to both short and FQDN. According to bprd log, the master is resolving IP address as FQDN. 

Have you confirmed in Host Properties -> Master -> Client attributes that browse and restore is allowed for this client?

r1
Level 5

I added the client that is having the issue to the clients list in the clients attributes and checked the two boxes for allow client browse and allow client restore and still have the same issue

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

I can't go through the previous logs right now.

If you can answer these questions with exactly the correct machine names, uppercase/lowercase correct, short name or long FQHN correct (or at least close), then we can determine where the breakdown is:

1) Name of master server?

2) Name of client from which the backup was originally saved?

3) Name of host upon which you are running the BAR GUI?

4) The policy type of the original policy within which the original client originally performed the backup?  (i.e. MS Windows, or Standard, or MS Exchange, or MS SQL, or Oracle, or something else?)

If you can supply accurate details for the above, then we can workout - with a few commands exactly what is going wrong for you.