cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email configuration for netbackup

Pratique
Level 4

I am facing issues in configuring the email notifications from the Netbackup master server for  Catalog, Vault Reports and all other crucial reports. The emails are sent via the "root" id of the master server which is an invalid one.

A glimpse of maillog when sending the mail:

Jun 14 11:21:11 nsnbkct11 sendmail[10062]: q5EFLBsp010062: from=<root@nsnbkct11.americas.nsn-net.net>, size=716, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<201206141517.q5EFHk9v009892@nsnbkct11.americas.nsn-net.net>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1]
Jun 14 11:21:11 nsnbkct11 sendmail[9892]: q5EFHk9v009892: to=root, ctladdr=root (0/0), delay=00:03:25, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=30401, relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (q5EFLBsp010062 Message accepted for delivery)
Jun 14 11:21:11 nsnbkct11 sendmail[10063]: q5EFLBsp010062: to=<root@nsnbkct11.americas.nsn-net.net>, ctladdr=<root@nsnbkct11.americas.nsn-net.net> (0/0), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local, pri=30973, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent
You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root

"root@nsnbkct11.americas.nsn-net.net" is not a valid email address and netbackup uses this address to send mails. I would need help in configuring the sender's email address to use as a registered / valid one and override the default settings.

Please guide as to where and what configuration file needs to modified.

Master : Netbackup 6.5.6

13 REPLIES 13

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Changed my original answer, mis-understood exact question,

Catlog email address is set in the catalog backup policy

General email is set in Host Properties > Master server > Universal settings (use 'server sends' mail')

For vault email, see the vault admin guide.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5138&key=15143

Martin

Pratique
Level 4

I can set the recepient email address (either in Masters server host properties or Catalog policy DR tab), thats not a problem.

I want to know where do I have to specify the sender's email address as the root address of the server is not working.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This what I read in the requirement:

I would need help in configuring the sender's email address to use as a registered / valid one and override the default settings.

As far as I know there is no way to change the sender's email address to anything other than 'root@master'

GlennG-NB
Level 4

What indicates that the address used by NetBackup as the sender is invalid?  Are you getting an error message somewhere?  If so, where does the error message originate?   -G.

Marianne
Level 6
Your mail server is probably validating sender's email address. Send a test mail from cmd on the master using mailx.

Pratique
Level 4

mailx is not working. I have to explicitly specify the sender's email address to send the mail:

echo "Greetings from Newark" | sendmail -r prateek.hetawal.ext@nsn.com -v phetawal@csc.com

It just hits the "root" email address which is not valid.

Amaan
Level 6

If I am not mistaken it will be changed from nbmail script (<INSTALPATH>\NetBakcup\bin). You have to modify that script and to the sender email put whatever email you think proper.Like below:

blat %3 -s %2 -t %1, Email_TO -i Email_FROM -server SMTPSERVER -q
) ELSE (

Pratique
Level 4

This is Linux server. Could you please tell me if this nbmail script is present by default and if not how should it be configured.

Amaan
Level 6

Sorry, I dont know for UNIX.

Marianne
Level 6

This confirms my previous post.

NBU uses mailx to send email.

Seems your mail server is rejecting invalid sender address.

NBU will only work if you can can get mailx to work as root from your master.
Speak to your mail admins - they can probably allow mail from this address. (Our admin did!)

AlanTLR
Level 5

Are you using postfix on your RHEL machine?  If so, you can set up rules for canonical sender rewrites and that should fix the invalid root email address problem.

http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html

If your mail is going through sendmail on the local machine, you can put rewrite rules in your submit.cf file, but you'll need to know advanced rewrite directives to rewrite the sender's address.

Alternatively, you can put a rewriter in between your RHEL machine and the mail relay.  This is a basic secure mail relay with canonical rewrites for the sender.  Just be sure to secure it via firewall to prevent any outside access.

For the rewriting rule, I use regular expressions (e.g., /root@.*.example.com/ --> myemail@example.com)

Pratique
Level 4

Is there any way netbackup can send email from my username instead of root ?

Marianne
Level 6

Have see this post dated 15 June?

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/email-configuration-netbackup#comment-7279531