cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enquiry for upgrade Netbackup server.

Sharron
Level 2
Partner

1. I would like to know the details step by step for the upgrade from existing Solaris Netbackup server 6.5.6 to latest windows 7.5.0.5 Netbackup server.

2. I would like to know can i directly restore the existing Solaris Netbackup 6.5.6 catalog to windows 7.5.0.5 Netbackup server?

3. Or i need to install the same version of Netbackup server "6.5.6" on windows platform first, and then restore the Solaris Netbackup 6.5.6 catalog, and after recover the catalog success, then perfrom the upgrade?

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You will need Consulting services to assist with migration.

Catalog backup and restore can only be used for 'same family' OS, e.g. 32-bit W2003 to 64-bit W2008 migration, or else for a Unix to Linux migration, e.g. Solaris to RHEL.

See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31385

You may want to consider to Linux instead?
See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77448

Hope this helps.

Sharron
Level 2
Partner

Sharron
Level 2
Partner

Dear Marianne,

Thanks for your quick reply, i had read your attched article before,

"Moving a Master Server to a different platform/operating system (  Unix to Windows)"  this practice is no open to public, and must be contact symantec consultant, right!

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Correct.

As per TECH31385, 

migrating the NetBackup catalog information from one primary platform to another (UNIX to Windows or vice versa), rename a Master Server or Media Server, cluster an existing Master Server, or merge multiple NetBackup domains that should not be attempted without the assistance of a Symantec certified NetBackup consultant, either a Symantec consultant or a certified consultant from a Symantec Consulting Partner.

More extracts from the TN:

.... to insure data integrity and seamless operation, operations must be performed by a certified Symantec consultant or Consulting Partner.

Symantec has developed comprehensive methodologies to handle a variety of reconfiguration requirements

Symantec consultants and Consulting Partners will assist customers by determining the correct approach to take, planning the activity and executing the plan successfully with minimum disruption to the operational environment.

Please contact a NetBackup Sales Representative for assistance in engaging a certified Symantec consultant or Consulting Partner.  

As per my previous post - you may want to consider migrating to Linux instead?

Licensing cost is the same as Windows.

ashish_patil01
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes as rightly said if it is cross platfrom you need to contact consulting.