cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erase Catalog / Netbackup written tapes in NB 6.0 MP4

Philip_Drew
Level 4
Hi,

I have some old Catalog (Catalog Backup & other NetBackup) tapes that I would like to erase to use in scratch pool.

I have tried using bplabel to wipe these and the erase tape function in the Admin Console to no avail.

Can someone please send me a link to documentation or step by step instructions on how to achieve the wipe so they are as if blank.

TIA,
5 REPLIES 5

Stumpr2
Level 6
Did you search the knowledgebase?

Message Edited by Bob Stump on 06-07-200708:50 AM

Bill_Liston
Level 4
Here ya go.
Doc ID 270446

In order to convert a catalog tape into a backup tape, perform the following steps:

1. Determine the volume pool number. The volume pool number is the number in parentheses after "volume pool."
/Program Files/volmgr/bin/vmquery -m [media_id]

2. De-assign the volume
/Program Files/volmgr/bin/vmquery -deassignbyid [media_id] [pool#] 1

3. Write a VERITAS NetBackup (tm) backup label on tape media. If the tape is in a robotic library, use this syntax:
/Program Files/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bplabel -m [media_id] -d [density] -p [volume_pool_name]

If the tape is in a standalone tape drive, use this syntax:
/Program Files/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bplabel -m [media_id] -d [density] -p [volume_pool_name] -n [drive_name]

The catalog media would now be available for NetBackup backups.

Bill

Stumpr2
Level 6

Bill Liston wrote:

2. De-assign the volume
/Program Files/volmgr/bin/vmquery -deassignbyid [media_id] [pool#] 1

I thought the vmquery -deassignbyid was not available in 6.x

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
From Netbackup 6.0 Commands pdf

SYNOPSIS
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmquery [-h EMM_server, ... -h EMM_server | volume_database_host, ... -h volume_database_host] [-vltcid vault_container_id] [-W] [-b | -w] -a | -m media_id | -v volume_group | -rn robot_number | -rt robot_type | -mt media_type | -p pool_number | -pn pool_name | -res robot_type robot_number robot_host rob_slot rob_side | -assignbyid media_id media_type pool_number stat asg_time | -deassignbyid media_id pool_number stat

But I will say that is a risky thing to use the -deassignbyid parameter because it can make a real mess, check the next link then u can make a better desition.

Stumpr2
Level 6
The usage does show that it is available, but there also is this technote:

DOCUMENTATION: The vmquery command will no longer deassign Veritas NetBackup (tm) media in version 6.0.