cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 196 (client backup was not attempted because backup window closed)

s11
Level 4
I am getting error "backup of client XXX exited with status 196 (client backup was not attempted because backup window closed)". We are using NetBackup 6.0. This error has come for the first time for all backup clients and none of the clients were backed-up. Request forum members to provide their valuable solution.

What could be the reason for the above error? I am a beginner as far as NetBackup is concerned and any inputs are welcome. I read it somewhere that manual backup can be performed under these circumstances, but even that is failing with same error.

Please consider this as an urgent request. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

BNetra
3 REPLIES 3

Roobix_Cube
Level 5
There's many reasons why this can occur.  Please run through the 196 guide and post your findings...

In-depth Troubleshooting Guide for Exit Status Code 196 in NetBackup Server (tm) / NetBackup Enterprise Server (tm) 6.0: http://support.veritas.com/docs/278557

Colin_North
Level 6
196 errors mean that backup jobs were not able to START within the backup window that you specified in your backup policy. For example, if your policy window is 18:00 to 04:00 and your backup jobs start at 04:10 then you'll get 196 errors.

The troubleshooting guide is the best place to look, but you could also adjust your backup window size and start / finish times.

Colin.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Do the jobs stay quueued and never go active? Then fail with a 196 when the window closes?