cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error - 'Unable to retrieve version of the server'

JAM1991
Level 4

After some assistance with an issue which has recently appeared in our NBU environment.

We have two master servers, running Windows Server 2008 R2.

When logged onto MASTER1 with the NBU administration console running, I can no longer switch master server by right clicking and selecting 'Change Server . . .'

When I attempt to connect to MASTER2 I get the following error message as below and vice versa from MASTER2 to 1.

Untitled.jpg

Any suggestions as to what could be causing this issue?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you want to use the Admin Console on Server1 to Switch to Server2, (or vice versa), you will need SERVER entries for one another and ensure forward and reverse lookup between the 2 servers.

I do not recommend using Admin Console on one master to connect to and manage another master.
Even if you have Server entries for one another, there may be an issue with host caching at OS level on the master and defined EMM server.

Best to do it on the Admin Console on your desktop as your machine already has Server entries on both masters.
A pure Admin Console installation does not have a defined EMM entry.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Will_Restore
Level 6

Cause

This problem can occur if hostname lookup on the master server is not correctly resolving the name of the client where the Remote Administration Console (RAC)  is being launched.

A good method to determine whether or not this is, in fact, the issue, attempt a NetBackup command on the client to query the master.  For example, the bppllist command:

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>bppllist
operation requested by an invalid server (37)

Solution

Identify and correct and name resolution issues (both forward and reverse) involving connection between the master server and the client where the RAC is being launched.

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH205561

Marianne
Level 6

Are you using Windows Admin Console on your desktop?

Are ALL NBU versions the same (incl patch version)?
Master1
Master2
Admin Console?

Have you tested forward and reverse hostname lookup between Admin Console and both masters?
SERVER entry for Admin Console on both masters?

Windows firewall disabled on both masters and Admin Console?

Please verify all of the above as if this is a new installation.

Will_Restore
Level 6

(another possibility)

Cause

Checking bpdbm log, shows:
12:20:01.463 [25406] <4> bpdbm: VERBOSE = 0
12:20:01.465 [25406] <16> queryInvalidServerMsg: requestor xxx.xxx.xxx is not a valid server for query 223
12:20:01.472 [25406] <2> process_request: request complete: exit status 37 operation requested by an invalid server; query type: 223

This is due to the fact that the server running admin console has no SERVER entry in the bp.conf or in Registry of the master server - hence the authentication error.

Solution

Add:

SERVER = xxx.xxx.xxx

to the master server bp.conf

or

the Windows registry

Also making sure the master server can forward lookup xxx.xxx.xxx

Reverse lookup of the IP must also resolve to the same host xxx.xxx.xxx

Once the entry is added, admin console should thenbe able to connect.

Another reason seen for this error was

The Client_Port_Window option was set to 1024 1024, It should be set by default to 0 0. 

Once the entry is added, admin console should be able to connect.  For more information on port windows see related articles below.

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH212125

JAM1991
Level 4

Thanks for the replies, I am using the administration console on the MASTER server itself. (Windows 2008 R2)

I have confirmed that forward and reverse lookup are working correctly.

However if I use the admin console on my local desktop (Windows 7) I can switch between MASTER servers without issue . . . 

Marianne
Level 6

If you want to use the Admin Console on Server1 to Switch to Server2, (or vice versa), you will need SERVER entries for one another and ensure forward and reverse lookup between the 2 servers.

I do not recommend using Admin Console on one master to connect to and manage another master.
Even if you have Server entries for one another, there may be an issue with host caching at OS level on the master and defined EMM server.

Best to do it on the Admin Console on your desktop as your machine already has Server entries on both masters.
A pure Admin Console installation does not have a defined EMM entry.