cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2013 error 2

Stanleyj
Level 6

Anyone having trouble backing up exchange 2013?  I keep getting status 2 and support is having to escalate my ticket to backline becuase we have checked permissions, firewall ports, Name Resolution (dag and severs) and checks out 100%.

Client services are running as an exchange organization management account

created a new policy that was using the exact same settings as my 2010 setup:

Snapshot client  = Perform snapshots backups (Vss 0,0,1)
Exchange Attributes = Passive copy and if not available active (we have also tried active only.  Still same result)
Client = Dag Name
Backup selection = Microsoft Exchange Database availability Groups:\

We can successfully backup local files on each exchange server

in the job details it showes all the databases but has this warning next to them:
7/11/2013 10:41:25 AM - Warning bpbrm(pid=4676) from client DAG: WRN - Exchange database <\\DAG\Microsoft Information Store\mbx - insurance - it - computer operations> not backed up.  See bpresolver log. 

We have checked the bpresolver log and support says the only thing he see is an RIA message??  He says this usually means permission issue or name resolution at which we have confirmed both are working properly.  I even ran the nbdna test and it checked out fine.

Anyone else backing up 2013 out there and can offer up some suggetions on what they might have done to get it working.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stanleyj
Level 6

Worked with support and we found the solution.  Apparently the procedure has changed a little for a 2013 policy and has not yet been documented.  You must fill out the preferred servers list regardless if your doing passive copy or active copy.  Atleast that is what worked in my environment.

After putting in my two backend servers in the preferred server list viola! backups are now running successfully. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

In the snapshot options try setting the VSS option to System rather than Auto

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

What NBU version on Master /Media & clients (All DAG members).

hav u tested small file level backup for each DAG member server ?

Stanleyj
Level 6

Mark,
just changed the setting and still getting the same result.  I have found several post and support documents on the error we are seeing and the solution is permissions.  But The account im using which shows up in the log as the running account has all the permissions required by symantec.  I hope this isnt a 2013 bug considering this just got released.

Heres the error:

rai_resolvePathName: Server failed to be found
Resolver_Exchange::generate_TopologyList: No backup server found for database path \.

Stanleyj
Level 6

Server 2012 on both backend exchange servers.

Client install is 7.5.0.6 for server 2012

Local system backups are working.

Stanleyj
Level 6

Worked with support and we found the solution.  Apparently the procedure has changed a little for a 2013 policy and has not yet been documented.  You must fill out the preferred servers list regardless if your doing passive copy or active copy.  Atleast that is what worked in my environment.

After putting in my two backend servers in the preferred server list viola! backups are now running successfully.