Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange backup policy

Ahmed_ELHalwagy
Level 4

i have netbackup 7.0  with OS windows 2003 sp2

and exchange 2007 sp2 using SCC

i am using two policies to backup the exchange , one for information store and one for mailboxes,

the information store bakup job is working well , but the mailboxes job is hanging everytime although i am using multistream

when i monitoring the hanging i found out it 's hanging in the contacts backup and attachments

my question is can i make a stream to backup specefic folder from the mailbox for specefic user

like  Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\inbox\[a-c]*

14 REPLIES 14

Ahmed_ELHalwagy
Level 4

i want to backup a range of mailboxes [a-b] inboxes only for example

Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\[a-b]*\Top of Informaiton Store\Inbox

i don't need to backup RSS , Contacts, Deleted Items ,and Outbox

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi

Looks like it doesnt like that any more - havent tried it myself since GRT came along i have generally used that, but from the Exchange Admin Guide:

Forr an Exchange Mailboxes path: Any segment of the path can contain wildcard characters as long as the wildcard characters are the last characters in the

segment.

Incorrect

Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\[a-h]\Top of Information Store

Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\John Anderson [janderson]\Top*\

Ahmed_ELHalwagy
Level 4

so if i want to backup the inbox only

what i'll do

my job hang every time when i am trying to bakup the exchange mailboxes

i made streams for mail boxes and all other recommendations but it is still hanging every time i run it

what i can do , i don't have ability to run GRT using disk i only have VTL or TL

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Hi

As it only accepts it at the end try just

Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\[a-h]*

You do get the entire mailbox for each user (which may be useful for restores anyway) but this does put the wildcard at the end and you could then use multiple streams.

Make sure the first line is NEW_STREAM and that allow multiple data streams is enabled on the attributes tab.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

thinking about it ... you dont say it fails or gives an error - just hangs?

Can you take a look at the netbackup logs on the client to see what it is doing

I guess bpcd, bpbkar, bpfis?

This may give a clue as to what is going on if it is not aactually failing

Alos - anything in the Exchange clients System or Appliaction event logs?

Ahmed_ELHalwagy
Level 4

and i want to add that the bpbkar32.exe , it didn't ber terminated after the jobs done or cacelled . it hangs and i kill them manually from the task manager

baltazarb
Level 4

Ahmed_ELHalwagy,
I hope you get a fix for your issue, and I would like to take the opportunity to ask for help on an issue along similar lines.  

I would like to exclude my journal mailbox using exclusion lists but it seems to ignore the exclusion and continue to backup the journal mailbox.  I would like to exclude the entire mailbox.  What am I doing wrong?  

Exclusion list:
Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\Journal\*

Thanks.

Ahmed_ELHalwagy
Level 4

i followed all recommendations by netbackup and i still face the hanging of the job

one thing i want to add is my master server is netbackup enterprise server V7.0

and the exchange netbackup clinet is 6.5.4... is there a problem for that ..?

and if i want to upgrade my client i have a media server installed on it witht the same version of the client

i want to know the procedures and will the new client intiate new ports or not ,,

if Yes i want to know these ports to contact with network team ..

Finally i want to say  this case is urgent to me

Ahmed_ELHalwagy
Level 4

is it any update for my case

Ahmed_ELHalwagy
Level 4

i need help , it's urgent

Ahmed_ELHalwagy
Level 4

i upgraded my master server and the agent to 7.1 but the job still hanging , any ideas

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

You should upgrade your Exchange Server to 7.1 also - preferably Master, Media and Clients to 7.1.0.2

Ahmed_ELHalwagy
Level 4

i upgraded the exchange to 7.1 , it's worked for time and after that it hanged again

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you created all the log folders as suggested by Mark back in October?

You will need bpbkar log as a start.

You will need to compare the bpbkar log from the successful backup with the bpbkar log of the hanging job.

You will be able to see in the log if there is one specific mailbox that is causing the job to hang.