Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange individual mail restore from tape

vamsivaddi
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

HI,

Can any one share how to restore individual mail from exchange backup?

Backup is taken on a tape

Exchange 2010 DAG (Windows 2008 R2) environment Netbackup 7.1 on Solaris Master Server. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Quick summary for you ....

1. If your DAG Exchange Policy has the check box to collect Granular Information and the backup if going to disk then the ability to restore individual message from you Information Store backups willo exist.

2. If on your Master Servers Host Properties General section you have enabled the GRT Duplicaiton to tape option then the GRT catalog will be added to tape when it is duplicated (without this you will not be able to restore individual messages from a tape copy)

3. If the disk copy has expired you need to duplicate the tape copy back to disk first (and set it as the primary copy I believe) - once it has been duplicated back to disk you can then perform individual message restores (as per Zahibs instructions)

If you have issues or do not see the mailboxes then dependant on your version you may need to install an EEB to fix a timeout issue.

Also keep you Media Server and Exchange Clients at the same NetBackup Version and Patch level

Hope this helps

#EDIT#

MAPI or BrickLevel Mailbox backups can be performed directly to tape but only for Exchange 2007 or earlier. As you are on Exchange 2010 you can only use GRT so backups must go to disk for it to be possible. Otherwise you will need to restore the IS to a RSG and extract the mail from that.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Do you have Granular backup ?

Example:

Should  have a full backup of mail boxes to resotre a single email or mail boxes.

Restore a single mail

Go to backup and Restore GUI

Select Full backup from the list

Select the user –> and select which email you want to restore.

Then it will start restoration process.

Now go and check the email in your INBOX.

Gautier_Leblanc
Level 5
Partner Accredited

You cannot do granular restore from tape with exchange. Most of the granular fonctionnalities are using disk images (except VM).

You can keep granular informations with tapes because NetBackup will make an indexation when you duplicate your disk image on a tape. Nevertheless, it will be necessary to duplicate tape image (with indexation informations) on disk before initiate granular restore.

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Ah yes you are right Gautier. I forgot that we can only take the Granular backup on Disk later we duplicate this backup on Tape.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Quick summary for you ....

1. If your DAG Exchange Policy has the check box to collect Granular Information and the backup if going to disk then the ability to restore individual message from you Information Store backups willo exist.

2. If on your Master Servers Host Properties General section you have enabled the GRT Duplicaiton to tape option then the GRT catalog will be added to tape when it is duplicated (without this you will not be able to restore individual messages from a tape copy)

3. If the disk copy has expired you need to duplicate the tape copy back to disk first (and set it as the primary copy I believe) - once it has been duplicated back to disk you can then perform individual message restores (as per Zahibs instructions)

If you have issues or do not see the mailboxes then dependant on your version you may need to install an EEB to fix a timeout issue.

Also keep you Media Server and Exchange Clients at the same NetBackup Version and Patch level

Hope this helps

#EDIT#

MAPI or BrickLevel Mailbox backups can be performed directly to tape but only for Exchange 2007 or earlier. As you are on Exchange 2010 you can only use GRT so backups must go to disk for it to be possible. Otherwise you will need to restore the IS to a RSG and extract the mail from that.

vamsivaddi
Level 5

I want to create a GRT policy to backup exchange 2010 DAG on to a tape.

To restore it i guess we have some disk staging option to first restore entire backup from tape to disk and then we can restore a single email from that...

kindly help me in steps for acheiving the same...

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

The initial backup (your DAG policy with the GRT option selected) must go to disk - it cannot go to tape.

Once on disk it can be duplicated to tape later, along with its GRT information but that copy would need to be duplicated back to disk before you could restore a single item from it.

Hope this clears it up for you

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please go through the GRT section of NBU for Exchange Server Admin Guide  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3669.

It explains how the media server disk (used as Disk Storage Unit) is NFS mounted on the Exchange server so that individual items can be accessed. This cannot be done using tape.

Pinku
Level 5

I wonder how you have taken the GRT backup on tape.

If you have disk storage unit configured, then duplicate the image from tape to disk and then start the restore from disk image.