cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclude list with Lotus-Notes agent using Netbackup 7.0.1 not working

TDL_GC
Level 2

Hello,

I am hoping someone can shed some light on an urgent issue I am having. I recently eneabled a Lotus-Notes agent on our Windows 2008 R2 Notes server to start backing up open databases. After the initial run, I noticed the backup was double in size and took close to 20hrs to complete.

After investigating I realized that there is an "archive" folder located in the "data" directory. This was not a problem with my backup in the past since I excluded it while using the Windows-NT agent.

So I added the "archive" folder to the client under host properties using the Lotus-Notes agent policy. I then monitored the backup. No success. It is still backing up the "archive" folder.

At this point I opened a case with Syamntec Case 414-254-360. However they have not discovered why it is not working? The exclude list is shown in the registry of the protected computer. The exclude setting is also setup correctly? So at this point I am stumped. I have tried to locate any info on the net without success. Two articles have been pretty much all I can find. One saying this problem was corrected in Netbackup 7.0, the other saying download a hotfix if the server you are protecting is clustered. Server is not clustered and I am running Netbackup 7.0.1.

If anyone has a suggestion, had this problem or has a fix your help would be greatly appreciated!

Netbackup Server; Windows 2008 R2 x64; Netbackup 7.0.1

Lotus Notes Server; Windows 2008 R2 x64; Domino 8.5.2

Thanks

Jamie

4 REPLIES 4

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

See the below post which may help you

Exclude Lists are ignored when using a Lotus-Notes policy to backup databases on Windows clients

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH19356&key=15143&actp=LIST

See the Admin guide for VERITAS NetBackup™ 6.0 for Lotus Notes. There is some thing different regarding the Exclude List if we talk about Lotus. See the below link hope this will help you too i hope.

ftp://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/279274.pdf

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Great find, Zahid!

The contents of TECH19356 is also listed in the NBU 7.0 Lotus Notes Administrator's Guide   http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127057

About excluding Lotus Notes databases from backups
You can exclude specific Lotus Notes databases from the backup by using database
links and directory links. This method works if the databases to which the links
point are located outside of the Domino data directory.
Identify the databases you want to exclude and move them to a directory outside
the Domino data path. Then, create a Domino database or a directory link to the
database(s). The agent only backs up files with extensions .nsf, .ntf and .box,
and does not follow database links or directory links.
If you need assistance to create a Domino database or directory links, consult a
Domino administrator. Or visit the IBM SupportWebsite and review IBM TechNote
#1089707:
www.lotus.com/support

Maurice_Byrd
Level 4

I'm having a similar issue with the backup grabbing the full text indexes. NBU is v7.0.1 on a Windows Server 2003 r2 box. My Notes mail databases are on a RedHat 5.3 box. I noticed the guide made mention of a lotus.conf file. I don't see one on my server.  Should I create one and add exclusions there?

Anton_Panyushki
Level 6
Certified

I confirm that putting the "archive" folder aside and making a directory  link to the new destination of this folder is a solution. NetBackup skips directory links during backup. The only thing you get in a notofication in job log.

The notification looks as follows:

May 5, 2011 5:42:38 AM - Warning bpbrm (pid=7096) from client your_domino_server: WRN - Skipping linked directory ("Archive".dir)