cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclusion lists not working

cgoliver
Level 5

I've been having problems getting file exclusions to work properly.

This has occured on multiple different OS types, suggesting this is a layer 8 problem :)

Anyway, right now I've setup an exclusion on a RHEL 5.8 machine for one policy RHEL_Dev_Audit

the perms are 644 and there is one direct /var/log/dirsrv

Everytime a manual backup runs it trys to get this directory.

Any ideas.

The backup file selection is specifically enumerated.

e.g.

/var/log/audit

/var/log/dirsrv

Some clients have /var/log/dirsrv and some do not.

Thanks,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

With those two backup selections have you actually also got multiple data streams enabled on the policy?

I think Marianne intimated that the backup selection is read first & then the exclude lists - with multiple data streams enabled. therefore, you will get a job created for each backup selection, then the exclude lists are applied, you then end up with a 71 as you are excluding all of one of the backup selections.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Rajesh_s1
Level 6
Certified

The following syntax rules apply only to UNIX clients:

■ Do not use patterns with links in the names. For example, assume /home is a
link to /usr/home and /home/doc is in the exclude list. The file is still backed up in this case because the actual directory path, /usr/home/doc, does not match the exclude list entry, /home/doc.

■ Blank lines or lines which begin with a pound sign (#) are ignored.

Syntax rules for exclude lists

Only one pattern per line is allowed

Spaces are considered legal characters. Do not include extra spaces unless
they are part of the file name.

End a file path with \ to exclude only directories with that path name (for
example, C:\users\test\). If the pattern does not end in \ (for example,C:\users\test), NetBackup excludes both files and directories with that path name.

If you are using a case sensitive exclude list property -- it indicates that the files and directories to exclude are case-sensitive.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Backup Selection is applied first.

Only upon start of bpbkar on client is exclude_list evaluated and applied.

I have learned this when I was first introduced to NBU:

1) Group Clients together in same policy if same OS and same backup selection.

2) Use ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES rather than specific backup selection. Add exclude_list on clients if specific filesystems/folders/files need to be excluded. 

cgoliver
Level 5

1. We have special req. for audit data, therefore we've enumerated them seperate from all_local_drives

2. Clients are grouped by OS type and enclave location e.g. DMZ, Prod, Dev

BTLOMS
Level 5

/var/log/audit/*

/var/log/dirsrv/*

try adding the star

worked for me.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Best to also group clients by similar Backup Selections. Exclude List will not work the way you need it to.

I don't understand how is ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES not sufficient for audit purposes?
That way you don't run the risk of missed file systems when sysadmin 'forget' to notify backup admin of newly added volumes....

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Netbackup client 7.0 through 7.1.0.1 ignoring the exclude list

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH150101

cgoliver
Level 5

Even with the splat. No joy. Still get the error 71.

cgoliver
Level 5

file name is, exclude_list.RHEL_Dev_Audit

mode is 644

one and only line is, /var/log/dirsrv/*

Douglas_A
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

So you are excluding the /var/log/dirsrv/ on all RHEL boxes? and you are getting error 71?

I hate to ask this but are you sure you are backing it up? I mean you will still see the filesystem in the BAR there will just be no files in it for recovery.

Can you please elaborate a little more.. this thread is a little confusing.

I mean if you are attempting to backup /var/log/dirsrv and it is excluded an error 71 might be termed as normal since there were no files to backup.. (not sure to be honest) in 7.5 it produces a Status 90.

Can you help me out with a little more detail?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

With those two backup selections have you actually also got multiple data streams enabled on the policy?

I think Marianne intimated that the backup selection is read first & then the exclude lists - with multiple data streams enabled. therefore, you will get a job created for each backup selection, then the exclude lists are applied, you then end up with a 71 as you are excluding all of one of the backup selections.

cgoliver
Level 5

Removing the multi-streaming is the ticket. The reason that all local drives is not sufficient is that our req. is all audit data created must be stored for 12 months.

Some systems generate a few hundred gig a day of audit data.

The daily backup load here can push 40TB on a busy day (thanks Oracle, never heard of a data warehouse)

cgoliver
Level 5

We have other policies, which will suffer from the lack of multi-streaming.

Now I understand why there were hundreds of policies in the past.