cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding backup status for jobs beyond master server's "keep logs" setting

NB-OPS
Level 4

Hi,

I am trying to find the status for backup jobs done more than 3 months ago. If I understand correctly, this relies on the "keep logs" setting on the master server which has default 28 days set. The reason I need to do this is because there was a job failure 3+ months ago and I need to find the next good backup for the same policy. I just need the backup status to prove and do not need to do the actual restore. Can you tell me is there a way to find the backup status beyond the number of days set in the "keep logs"?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Could a failed backup have multiple images and only the successful images are recorded in the catalog?

Not sure if you are referring to multi-stream backups, for example ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES where separate jobs are created for C, D, E, etc?

Each backup job creates a separate image (no multiple images per job).
Only successful backups are kept in image catalog.
So, in a multi-stream backup, a failure for C-drive means nothing is stored in image catalog for that particular job.
Successful D and E drive backups are stored in image catalog.

You can also use 'Client Backup' report or simply browse for backups in BAR.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
There are no way to check backup status beyond "Keep Logs" period. Check if backup images of successful backup exist by bpimagelist command or [NetBackup Management]-[Catalog] instead.

NB-OPS
Level 4

Thanks, Yasuhisa.

> Check if backup images of successful backup exist by bpimagelist command or [NetBackup Management]-[Catalog] instead.

So does it mean if I can find the images in [NetBackup Management]-[Catalog] for the backup, the backup is considered successful? Could a failed backup have multiple images and only the successful images are recorded in the catalog?

Thanks again!

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Could a failed backup have multiple images and only the successful images are recorded in the catalog?

Not sure if you are referring to multi-stream backups, for example ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES where separate jobs are created for C, D, E, etc?

Each backup job creates a separate image (no multiple images per job).
Only successful backups are kept in image catalog.
So, in a multi-stream backup, a failure for C-drive means nothing is stored in image catalog for that particular job.
Successful D and E drive backups are stored in image catalog.

You can also use 'Client Backup' report or simply browse for backups in BAR.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Two excellent TN's that might address your query.

Unable to get Administration Console reports for older backups

How to get NetBackup data reports from past backups, for specific time periods

Essentially its about restoring old error logs. And reviewing them.