cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FlashBackup-Windows with multiple mounts and clients

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

Ok, so my DFS-R backups ended up not working, however we still need to backup our file servers. I have 7 file servers with millions of files on them and determined that the FlashBackup-Windows policy was the best solution. It seems to work great on my servers with everyone's Home drive. Now, here's my challenge to you, my fellow Backupers. On each of these file servers (Windows 2008) we have our base folders (C:\Data|Dept\) and then below that are the various SAN disks mounted into folders for each department or group.

C:\Data\Dept\Maintenance

C:\Data\Dept\Ops

Now, if I build a policy with the common selection of C:\Data\Dept\ and let it go, it won't backup any inside the various mount points. However, the mount points have different names across all the servers.RIght now, my understanding is that i'm going to have to create a new policy for each of the 7 servers, however I already have over 200 policies and would like to avoid 7 more. If that's the way to go, then I will, but I thought I would throw the ideas out there for any feedback.

If I do run the backup with just C:\Data\Dept\ then it will error out with status code 4203.

I'm open to suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

The Flashbackup type does not allow you to cross mount points. You need to switch to the (classic) Windows policy type and check mark the "cross mount points".

For flash backups you need to specify the file path like this:

\\.\E:

\\.\E:\mounted_volume

Read more in the Netbackup 7.6 snapshot client guide page 79

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6459

Not to discourage you, but the restrictions list long ...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

The Flashbackup type does not allow you to cross mount points. You need to switch to the (classic) Windows policy type and check mark the "cross mount points".

For flash backups you need to specify the file path like this:

\\.\E:

\\.\E:\mounted_volume

Read more in the Netbackup 7.6 snapshot client guide page 79

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6459

Not to discourage you, but the restrictions list long ...

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

That's what I was assuming, but was hoping for a better answer.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Take a look at accelerator and client side dedupe in NBU 7.6 (and 7.5). This is what I use for large size file servers.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Still curious about why you cannot get DFS-R backups to work as part of Shadow Copy Component backups... 

I wonder if FlashBackup will be supported with volumes under DFS-R control. 
Let us know if this is working for you.