cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flashbackup - NBU 5.1

Nirmal_Kakkar
Not applicable
Can some one provide description of how Flashbackup works at a lower level. For example, when it says that flashbackup reduces the disk I/Os by creating a map, I'm trying to find out the details of this map.

What would make this clearer for us is drawing out a sample file system with 10 files, and walking through what happens during a standard backup (e.g., How it goes through the inode table, determines which blocks are associated with each file, etc.) Then, walking through what happens during a flashbackup at the same low-level.

Similarly, how does it allow us to restore individual files?
2 REPLIES 2

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Hi Nirmal,

I was also trying to understand the in-depth details of FlashBackup but couldn't find any on Netbackup related document.

But I came across the following white paper on Veritas Storage Checkpoint which I think would be helpful to you in understanding block level backup. The document give some examples which I believe would answer most of your queries:

http://eval.veritas.com/webfiles/docs/storcheck_whitepaper.pdf

Happy reading...
:)

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner
I've configured it on Windows... It's a RAW backup with possibility to restore single file.. You can use VSS for snapshot or other snapshot technology.. Backup with FB has better performance but restore is slower.
In marketing papers you can find info that this is good solution for filesystems with a lot of files...
marekk