cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I delete media/images ?

Jaap_Hartog
Level 4

L.S.

We use Netbackup since 2005 and performed backups until 2009 with infinite retention.

In 2009 (when we started using LTO3-tapes) we implemented another retention scheme (with 3 months, 12 months and infinite retention) that ultimately results in only the first full backup of each year having infinite retention.

The period from 2005 until 2009 represents a substantial amount of LTO2-tapes (at our external storage location) as well as many entries in the Catalog database.

The data has been requested only once since that period,

therefor we want to free up physical space in the cabinets at the external storage location and decrease the size of the catalog database.

So it is agreed to keep only those sets of tapes representing the 1st full backup of 2005 up to and including 2009, and to do away with the other LTO2-tapes.

Having listed those tapes (to be done  away with),

I guess the next step would be to expire them in sequence with the command:

bpexpdate -m XXXXXX -d 0 –force

followed by

vmdelete -m XXXXXX

Is this sufficient to make the Catalog Database shrink, or does it need to be purged additionally somehow ?

If the mentioned steps are not correct, please say so !

Thanks in advance !

Kind regards,

Jaap Hartog

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

Those commands should do the trick.  The catalog will not shrink immediately but it will purge the data for expired images and media after short amount of time. 

No "undo"; the only way to get the data back is to reimport the tapes, but it sounds like you understand that. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Will_Restore
Level 6

Those commands should do the trick.  The catalog will not shrink immediately but it will purge the data for expired images and media after short amount of time. 

No "undo"; the only way to get the data back is to reimport the tapes, but it sounds like you understand that. 

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I am missing something :

So it is agreed to keep only those sets of tapes representing the 1st full backup of 2005 up to and including 2009

You want to keep the tapes but expire NBU images?
What will be the purpose of keeping the tapes?

Expiring NBU images and deleting tapes will remove all references to backed up data.
Any request for restores will require all deleted media to be re-added and imported...

Only expire and delete if you are 100% sure that you will never need to restore and if you have written approval from your management.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

We use Netbackup since 2005 and performed backups until 2009 with infinite retention.

In 2009 (when we started using LTO3-tapes) we implemented another retention scheme (with 3 months, 12 months and infinite retention) that ultimately results in only the first full backup of each year having infinite retention.

I'm reading that as:

- between 2005 and 2009 *all* backups were carried out with infinite retention (or at least a substantial amount)

- subsequently changed such that, from 2009, only one infinite retention backup carried out per year

- intending to expire all but the first infinite for each year 2005-2009 inclusive

Jaap_Hartog
Level 4

Sorry Marianne,

I should have written "So it is agreed to keep only those sets of tapes and thereon contained images representing the 1st full backup of 2005 up to and including 2009".

So:
of each 1st  full backup of the years 2005 up to and including 2009, the images and media will be kept.
All other  images and media of that period will be expired, respectively  destroyed .
After destruction of the media we will receive a destruction-certifcate.

As part of this mini-project I first sought (and received) consent from my management.
I am fully aware of the fact there is no "undo" other than re-adding and reimporting the media.

Thanks for looking closely to my text !

Jaap

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

In that case, your commands are fine.

Image Cleanup job runs every 12 hours - this should finalize image deletion and resulting smaller catalog.

Jaap_Hartog
Level 4

Andy, that's exactly what I meant !

The problem with issues like this is that you need to give enough but not too much detail to keep it understandable...

Thanks all for contributing !