cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I exclude Shadow Copy Components on a Win 2003 Client?

The_Director
Level 5
Certified
I have added it to the exclude list in the client properties but it still tries to it up and give me an error 71 because it is not there...

Any help with this?

Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

Stumpr2
Level 6
Go to the "master "server's properties page and click on client attributes.
You can add the client to this page and then disable Shadow Copy.

The_Director
Level 5
Certified
Thanks Bob, I've never ventured into that part of the Master Server properties....

I will let you know if this works.

Philip_Drew
Level 4
Just to add, when you specify it in the Master Server Properties / Client attributes that you need to add it in the same upper or lower case as in the policy / client name - otherwise it will still be active.

The_Director
Level 5
Certified
So I tried both suggestions and still no dice.

Here is the situation, I am backing up 3 Datacore Nodes. They are all Win Server 2003 and being Datacore nodes, they do not use Shadow Copy.

I am backing them up via a Linux master/media server running Netbackup 6.0mp3.

When ever I back them up I get an error 71 on the Shadow Copy Components:\

I have added Shadow Copy Components:\ to the exclude list and per Bob's instructions above, added the clients to the Master Server Properties - Client attributes tab, and made sure VSS was not selected.

Yet I still get an error 71.

I'd rather not have to make a seperate policy just for these 3 nodes with a more specific backup list than all local drives. This is why they made the exclude lists...

Thanks

Rohan_McN
Level 2
We have seen this problem on some of Windows2003 server in our environment (about 3 from 1200). We resolved the issue by starting the "VSS service" on the server. A bit random, but it seems to have done the trick for us. It got to a point where starting this service seems to have somehow solved the issue, and no one has since had the inclination to dig further into it!