cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do SLP Policies Tie Into Backup Policies in NBU 7.5?

rkelly_amcastle
Level 3

Hello,

I am trying to create some new policies in NBU 7.5.0.7 on a Server 08 machine. We also utilize a 5200 appliance and tape drives. We have a series of SLP policies which dictate the backup flow. For example the SLP Incremental Daily says advanced disk-->tape-->pure disk.

We have SLP's for daily, weekly, monthly, yearly. How do the backup policies know to use the SLP policies? I can't find that setting anywhere? Is there a global setting somewhere that says use these SLP policies by default?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Ryan

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

You select the SLP in the Policy Storage dropdown on the Attributes tab (after selecting a Data classification just above it).

View solution in original post

watsons
Level 6

SLP is a storage type of policy, so essentially it is a (series of) storage destination.

Just like normal schedules, each schedule can be assign a different storage selection, 

If you have 4 schedules, in each schedule, look for "override policy storage selection", check it and you can select different SLP there.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Will_Restore
Level 6

You select the SLP in the Policy Storage dropdown on the Attributes tab (after selecting a Data classification just above it).

rkelly_amcastle
Level 3

Thank you Will. What if you want to apply several SLP's to the Backup Policy? For example a Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Yearly?

Will_Restore
Level 6

Only one SLP for a policy.  Think of SLP as Storage and not Schedule.

NetBackup 7.5 Best Practice - Using Storage Lifecycle Policies

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73205

watsons
Level 6

SLP is a storage type of policy, so essentially it is a (series of) storage destination.

Just like normal schedules, each schedule can be assign a different storage selection, 

If you have 4 schedules, in each schedule, look for "override policy storage selection", check it and you can select different SLP there.

Will_Restore
Level 6

Now that's a means I had not considered.   What we've been doing instead of multiple schedules is creating an SLP with short term retention on disk and long term on tape.  "Kills two birds with one SLP stone" as it were. 

watsons
Level 6

It's just another option out there.. :p

My usual practice is to simplify the management of policies, so I'd opt to use is SLP with multiple copies just like you.