cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Netbackup work with .mdb files which are open?

ingaramm
Level 2
Certified
Hi all,
Recently I was asked to perform a restore of a mdb (microsoft access) file.
According to the client, the file is updated regularly (daily) but when I looked for it in order to start the restore, I couldn't find the file.
To be more specific:
I found an old file in the Full backup in the location specified by the client.
I couldn't find the file in none of the incremental backups. We had been obtaining 100% successful backups for the last 14 days.

Just one thing to add, all the backups end with status code 1.

My application runs in Solaris 5.9 and the backup is performed on a Windows 2003 server.

This is my first discussion, I hope i accomplish with all the posting rules.

Thanks in advance.

Mauro
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6
Says files are in use and cannot be backed up, and the backup admin adds the files to Netbackup exclude_list. 

Preferred method is application backup (database export) to filesystem & then backup to tape.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Do you know what files were missed? (the mdb's perhaps)

Is Windows Open File Backup enabled for this client? (Within Master server properties/Client attributes/WOFB tab in the Admin Console GUI)

ingaramm
Level 2
Certified
* Do you know what files were missed? (the mdb's perhaps)
According to the logs of the backup jobs, warnings come from TMP files from locations not related to the directory in which the file resides. (not even the same FS). I added it because I don't know about system administration, so I wouldn't know if these TMP files are related to mdb.

*Regarding WOFP, I checked and it is not enabled. is it necesary to backup an open mdb file?

Is there any documents from Symantec where I can find the relationship between NetBackup and different types of files?

Thanks Andy

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi there,

usually I  set 2 policies,
I for the files
another for the DB

the MDB file I put at the exclude list from the files policy

by the way MSSQL must be confugured as Full Recovery.. or your backup won´t work fine.

Will_Restore
Level 6
Says files are in use and cannot be backed up, and the backup admin adds the files to Netbackup exclude_list. 

Preferred method is application backup (database export) to filesystem & then backup to tape.

ingaramm
Level 2
Certified
Bill / Claudio,
By reading your replies, I have confirmed that open mdb files are excluded from the backup. Thanks for this information. We also received the confirmation from the customer that the DB wasn't closed at the moment of the backup and they are working to fix that, because it should be closed.
Claudio, I'm taking note of the method to configure MSSQL backups you suggested, because we ran this type of backups too.  but, in this case, customer just asked a standard FS backup.
In the next days we will be running tests to see if we are able to include that file in a regular FS backup.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Mauro Sebastián Ingaramo