cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to accelerate backup for a BIG Files servers and SQL servers.

XTREM1337
Level 4

I have 3 very big fileserver, more than one billions of files.

Presently we using the MS-Windows policies to backup'em. I was reading that I could use the FLASHBACK policie (block level) for that kind of file server.

So if i'm using this kind of policie, should I use the FLASHBACK or the FLASHBACK-WINDOWS policie if my server is a windows 2008?

I dont fully understand the difference between MS-Windows, Flashbackup, Flashbackup-Windows.

We using flashbackup-windows to backup our VM on ESX server.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Flashbackup is for Unix

Flashbackup-Windows is for flashbackup policies on Windows Clients

MS-Windows is a standard Windows backup

Flashbackup and Flashbackup-Windows do raw device backups - they tend to be very fast as they back up at block level and backup the entire drive

So if you have a 50TB drive with 15 TB used you backup will be 50TB!

You can however restore single file data from these backups - I would advise having a moderate fragment size for you storage unit - say 5000MB - so that when seeking a single file from the backup it can be located easily

Also test restores from the backup as very large backups can have issues

Two other differences are that you cannot do the system drive (C drive) using this type of backup and the backup selection list is different .. A windows policy would say D:\ but a Flashbackup-Windows policy will say \\.\D:

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Flashbackup is for Unix

Flashbackup-Windows is for flashbackup policies on Windows Clients

MS-Windows is a standard Windows backup

Flashbackup and Flashbackup-Windows do raw device backups - they tend to be very fast as they back up at block level and backup the entire drive

So if you have a 50TB drive with 15 TB used you backup will be 50TB!

You can however restore single file data from these backups - I would advise having a moderate fragment size for you storage unit - say 5000MB - so that when seeking a single file from the backup it can be located easily

Also test restores from the backup as very large backups can have issues

Two other differences are that you cannot do the system drive (C drive) using this type of backup and the backup selection list is different .. A windows policy would say D:\ but a Flashbackup-Windows policy will say \\.\D:

Hope this helps

XTREM1337
Level 4

very clear now, thanks !

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Great - dont forget if you are happy to close off the thread using the Mark as solution which assists others looking for similar information in the future

Hi Mark,

Is there any way to use NetBackup FlashBackup-Windows Policy for CIFS share?

Please provide me any TN for the same.