cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to changing the recorded Media ID in Veritas 6.5?

scomatic
Not applicable

Hi,

Previously my LTO 4 tape (media ID - A00001) was faulty, so replaced a new LTO4 tape. Mistakenly I forgoted to label it to A00001 on time, so now the media ID was recorded as A00016.

So any way for me to re-label the recorded Media ID to A00001? I not mind to lost the data inside.

Beside this I was try to run "bpexpdate -d 0 -m A00016"and follow by "bplabel -m A00001 -p NetBackup -d hcart", but it failed and with message "request media ID is not assigned to this host in the EMM database".

Regards,

David

5 REPLIES 5

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

OK, so I guess here you have media with no barcodes ?

What does bpmedialist -m A00016  show ?

1.  If this command shows "request media ID is not assigned to this host in the EMM database

" then you just need to delete the tape, reinventory the library  and then relabel it.

2.  If the bpmedialist command shows output other than the above message, then you need to expie the tape manually, delete it from NBU, reinventory the library and relabel

If you see this mesage :

"request media ID is not assigned to this host in the EMM database" it means the meda is not in the EMM database, which means that NBU thinks there are no images on it.

Martin

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So, tape1 (media id A00001) was used for backups, had backups on, then went faulty and got replaced with tape2 (added by NBU as A00016).

This means NBU still 'knows' about the backups on A00001.

Was the new tape in the meantime used for backups?

Please post output of 'nbemmcmd -listmedia -mediaid <media-id>'  for BOTH A00001 and A00016.

Look for 'Assign Time' and 'Data Expiration' fields.

If both of them have dates in these fields, you will have to expire images on BOTH of them (bpexpdate), delete A00016, then put tape2 in the drive and bplabel it as A00001.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Opps, yep, that's a good point Marianne, A00001 is probably still in the system.

Good job one of us is awake today   :o)   ....

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Would love for David to let us know if we managed to help?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes, would be good ...

Yikes ...  

Need to highlight this point :

"  "request media ID is not assigned to this host in the EMM database" it means the meda is not in the EMM database, which means that NBU thinks there are no images on it.

which means, if you expire it, NBU will lose the data on it - it can be reimported, but NOT if you relabel it.

If there is data on the tape (which you suggest there is), you will need to either :

Let it expire, then relabel it before it is reused

or

Duplicate the images to a spare tape, relabel this one, then duplicate them back again.  Not sure of your environment, so you may need to suspend all the other media to ensure this one is picked for the duplication.

In summary, you cannot relabel a tape (only way to change media header) without losing the data on the tape.