Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check if change journal is working

Peter_Jakobs
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Netbackup 7.5

Windows client with accelerator, client side deduplication and change journaling enabled.

Everything worked fine for some time, untill I 'accedentially' saw in the activity monitor -> detailed status of a job the folowing error:

Info bpbkar32(pid=3460) NOT using change journal data for <D:\>: unable to locate journal data

Backup runs ok and the exit status is 0.

bperror does not report any problems or even info.

I can't find any errors in the Windows event viewer.

Looks like I have to check in activity monitor (for every job, and I have more then 800 a day) if the change journal is still working...

Peter

ps. I got it working again by deleting the change journaling and restarting the netbackup client.

2 REPLIES 2

Varunesh
Level 3

Normally when first backup is initiated netbackup will create change journal file in the client from the next set of backups, netbackup identify the changed data from the change journal.So it is your first backup?

The following situation by which the netbackup may create a new change journal file on the client.

If netbackup client version got upgraded.

Have a look on the error messages on the below link according to your client OS

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO68492

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO67431

Peter_Jakobs
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

No client upgrade, and it was not the first backup.

I already saw HOWTO68492 and they specify that these are the messages in the job details log.

I think, that these messages should appear in the problems report, or at least in the all log entries report, because nobody can check all the job details log for every job every day...

Hope somebody from Symantec is reading, otherwise I'll open a case.

Peter