cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure NBU to monitor the failed backups in "real-time"?

Ivy_Yang
Level 6

hi,

we have 2 NBU masters running on 6.5.4 LINUX_RH_X86 and 6.5.4 SOLARIS_X86 seperately.

I find that I can receive "real-time" alert if backups fail.

For example, If I cancel a job on master manually, I will receive the following alert as below immediately sending via root@"master hostname"

Backup on client wsnbuops01.active.tan for user root by server adicmonkey failed.

Status = termination requested by administrator.

Policy = Opscenter_backup

Schedule = Daily_full

File list

D:\Opscenter_dbbackup

D:\Program Files\Symantec\OpsCenter\server\config\db.conf

since the alert is very responsive so I believe it is configured within netbackup instead of the OS.

but is there anybody who can tell me how to configure this or point me the right direction?

I think it's a very useful way to let me be aware of the backup status in "real-time". I want to populate the configuration in our other backup domains.

thanks in advance!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have a look at this TN for more info:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH64984

DOCUMENTATION: Email Notifications Settings and Their Behaviors

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Host properties > Master server > Universal settings

Set 'Server sends mail" and add the email addess.

martin

Ivy_Yang
Level 6

hey,martin

thanks for your prompt reply.

let me try it ...

Ivy_Yang
Level 6

Hi, martin

I checked Host properties > Master server > Universal settings via GUI on these 2 masters...only to find that these 2 masters don't configiure "'Server sends mail" ...and no email address is added there............

and "client sends mail" is being selected currently............

but I indeed can receive the email alerts and the recipient is our email alias "ProdBackupSystemAlerts".........

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have a look at this TN for more info:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH64984

DOCUMENTATION: Email Notifications Settings and Their Behaviors

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The client or server can send the mail ....  The TN from Mariannes excellent post will explain all ....

Ivy_Yang
Level 6

thanks very much !

let me try this doc

Ivy_Yang
Level 6

thanks everybody!

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Not sure if you have solved this but looking at the message you get made me think of where else it could have come from .... "Policy = Opscenter_backup"

There is an extra piece of software called NetBackup OpsCenter (previosuly known as NOM) that is also used for alerting so worth checking if you have that installed on the Master or Media Server

Try connecting to: http://mastername/opscenter

or http://masterservername:8181/nom

If you get a login screen the username by default is admin and the password for NOM is Vxadmin, for OpsCenter is password

gilbert08
Level 5
Partner Accredited

ensure email add and mail server is configured properly

Ivy_Yang
Level 6

hi,

the doc is indeed useful and i am trying to configure email notifications today.

as for opscenter, yes, we indeed installed and configured Opscenter 7.1.0.1 to manage all the NBU masters....and we configure some alerts in Opscenter, for example alerts for clean tapes, alerts for critical processes or daemons...

thanks for taking care of this

Ivy_Yang
Level 6

hi, thanks for reminding for this

I am working on this email notifications today!

Ivy_Yang
Level 6

hi, all

I configured only "Global Attribute" on master for non-zero jobs. and I indeed can receive the email notifications now!

but I sitll have a problem: the doc mentioned "The assumption is made that you have configured blat and nbmail.cmd as specified in TechNotes 256043 and 254809 (linked below)."

but I don;t think I configured blat  or nbmail.cmd but it succeed! 

Do I still need to configure them on master?

Ivy_Yang
Level 6

and more questions:

1) can I send email notifications for some certain policies instead of all of them?

2) are we able to change the FROM address of the email notifications?