cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to confirm the upgrade from NBU7.0 to 7.0.1

sethu
Level 3
Hi All,

I upgraded my NBU7.0 to 7.0.1by running  the  nbcertupdater script file that available for my Linux system.I checked the Netbackup GUI through vnc.From there i am seeing only version as NBU7.0,I runned that script inside the admincmd only.What can i do further to get that version indication as 7.0.1
15 REPLIES 15

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

"...
The certificate update utility (nbcertupdater) provides an automated mechanism to contact a set of NetBackup hosts and have them setuptrust with a specified authentication broker. The utility can also query the NBU_Machines private domain of the local AB to generate the set of NetBackup hosts that can then be contacted for the setuptrust operation.
..."

It does not upgrade NB.

DOCUMENTATION: Usage and syntax of the NetBackup Certificate Update Utility (nbcertupdater).
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/345043.htm

NB7.0.1 is still at FA & not GA as far as I'm aware:

NetBackup 7.0.1 First Availability (FA) Program
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/356785.htm

sethu
Level 3
Thanks Andy.U specified that it does not upgrade NB.What this means,Is there anything necessary to do more for upgrading to NBU7.0.1

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

the moment which is why I supplied the link to the FA program (altho' I'm not sure if this is still open, but you could try)

When 7.0.1 is available you will need to download all the necessary binaries (server, clients, agents, add-ons etc that are appropriate for you) in order to upgrade your 7.0 installation.

sethu
Level 3
Hi ,

How can i upgrade NBU 7.0 to 7.0.1 in windows system.I recently tried to upgrade the same on windows system through cmd prompt.I received this stuff.Could you pleas help me to reach solution for this.C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>nbcertupdater.exe -h Abcf -v -d -nolog
Warning: Logging disabled
Processing host Abcf
<4>main: Processing host 192.Abcf
<4>get_use_vxss_value: Getting USE_VXSS setting from bpcd
<2>get_use_vxss_value: config_strings = <
>
<4>get_use_vxss_value: USE_VXSS = PROHIBITED
<2>remoteVersionCheck: Remote bpcd version=117440512 (Num=7, Maj=0, Min=0, Rel=0
)
<4>remoteVersionCheck: BPCD_GET_BROKER_CERT_RQST supported
<4>remoteVersionCheck: Host is not pre-6.0
<2>processHost: bpcr_get_broker_cert_rqst() failed: res=17, rv=0, errno=0(No err
or)
Failed to update broker certificate on host with USE_VXSS=PROHIBITED
<4>main: Failed to update broker certificate on host with USE_VXSS=PROHIBITED

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
the cert update is NOT a netbackup version upgrade.

Will_Restore
Level 6
then why are you trying to run nbcertupdater ??

Will_Restore
Level 6
oh, I see the trouble now blush

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

It sounds like it was this one.  Was it this one?

Independent Patch NB_7.0I1.tar provides nbcertupdater for Veritas NetBackup (tm) Enterprise Server / Server 7.0 and higher systems

http://support.veritas.com/docs/347949

This isn't 7.0.1.  In fact, if you're not running NBAC, you don't even need to apply this (although it hurts nothing if you do).  Applying 7.0I1 to a 7.0 client keeps it a 7.0 client - just one with a cert with a later expiry.

7.0.1 hasn't yet been released to general availibility.

(This is pretty much exactly what Andy said, but said a bit differently)

sethu
Level 3
Hi All,  smiley

Yes CRZ.We have NBU 7.0 installed.We have extracted the .zip file 7.0l1.We have copied the proper nbcertupdater.exe in admincmd and are trying to execute it by refering the README file.

FA release is equivalent of a software Beta release right??Do we have to wait till GA to upgrade our NBU to 7.0.1?

Our requirement is to upgrade the NBU to 7.0.1.We use Windows 2008 R2 Standard.

Help.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

NetBackup 7.0.1 First Availability (FA) Program
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/356785.htm

"...
IS THIS AN ALPHA OR BETA PROGRAM?
No.  First Availability software is production ready GA software that has passed stringent Symantec release and quality criteria.   This is not an Alpha or Beta program and we encourage and fully support FA code in production environments.  The First Availability program provides GA quality software to you as soon as it becomes available.
..."

If you want to upgrade to 7.0.1 you'll have to either:
a) wait until GA becomes available; or
b) register for the FA program (that link is available in the above URL also).

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

7.0.1 GA is not out yet, so you can't install it...because it's not out yet.  :)

You CAN sign up for the 7.0.1 FA program and get access to 7.0.1 there.

7.0I1, which you have downloaded, has NOTHING to do with 7.0.1 and will not help you upgrade to 7.0.1 because it is not 7.0.1 - it is an Independent patch (that's the "I" part) for 7.0.

Installing 7.0I1 does not have ANYTHING to do with upgrading to 7.0.1.  It is a totally different thing.

So let's run through your options again:

1. Wait for 7.0.1 to actually be released like most people are doing.

2. Sign up for 7.0.1 FA and, assuming you join the First Availability program, install 7.0.1 as soon as you are given access to it.

This is NOT an option:

3. Install 7.0I1 (which is not 7.0.1 and has nothing to do with 7.0.1 and won't help you at all get to 7.0.1)

Hope this helps!

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

It's an "I" (eye)? Thought it was an "l" ! (ell) laugh

showme
Level 3

Off topic, but can I find some docos on 7.0.1? would like to know if it can be rolled back.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Please start a new discussion?