cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get retention periods of all stored backups

PNabski1
Level 3

Good Afternoon,

Please forgive any lack of clarity as this is my first post here and am not well experienced in Netbackup . I have been asked to provide a list of backed up data that has a retention period of more than 1 year. Our Netbackup platform has been running for many years and from passed on information I believe we have probably got data with retentions periods of up to 13 years. Is there a way I can produce a list of backups we have stored showing when they were taken and when they will expire. We store backups to disk initially then they are copied off to tape for long term storage after a certain time by SLP's I'm told.

KIndest Regards

Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

bpimagelist command is your friend.

The command has many options, but if I look at the examples in the Command Ref Guide:
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/123533878-127136857-0/v123538598-127136857
the easiest will probably be to add start and end dates to Example 2:

bpimagelist-d 01/01/1970 -e 01/04/2020 -U

(So, all unexpired backup until a year ago.)

If the command produces a lot of output, you can redirect the output to a file.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne

bpimagelist command is your friend.

The command has many options, but if I look at the examples in the Command Ref Guide:
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/123533878-127136857-0/v123538598-127136857
the easiest will probably be to add start and end dates to Example 2:

bpimagelist-d 01/01/1970 -e 01/04/2020 -U

(So, all unexpired backup until a year ago.)

If the command produces a lot of output, you can redirect the output to a file.

Hi Marianne,

Can't thank you enough. I have been going through the Command Ref Guide for days and could not find what I was looking for. Does'nt help being new to this does it. Getting the reqiured information into Excel for clarity. Thanks for your help it is so very much appreciated.

Marianne

@PNabski1 

Glad I could help.
I have no idea why new users are expected to administer a product that they have no experience with, no training and nobody to shadow.....

jnardello
   VIP    Certified
And yet isn't that how most of us got our starts with this product ? =) That fun moment the very first time you delete a policy and suddenly wonder, "Did I just delete all the data the policy backed up too ? " Good times, heh.