cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Backup Exec tapes into Netbackup?

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Current environment:
Windows 2003 SP1; Netbackup 6.0 MP3; ADIC i500 library with (4) LTO3 drives connected via SAN.

Legacy environment:
Windows 2000 SP4; Backup Exec 9.1; HP MSL5000 with (2) SDLT320 drives connected via SAN.

I'm trying to import tapes from the older Backup Exec environment into our new Netbackup environment. I disconnected the HP MSL5000 from the legacy environment and connected it via SCSI to our new NBU Master server. I inserted the required SDLT cartridges into the HP MSL and can successfully inventory the library. At this point the inventory creates an additional volume group and the SDLT tapes are there.

According to NBU documentation I'm supposed to run vmphyinv as part of Phase 1 import for Backup Exec media.
The command recognizes the library and 2 drives then mounts the tapes for reading (at this point it is supposed to update the media GUID in the NBU database), however I get an error for each tape as the command runs:
Waiting for mount of media ID 000425 on host sus063
Waiting for mount of media ID 000429 on host sus063
Mounted media ID 000425 on host sus063
network protocol error (39)
Waiting for mount of media ID 000584 on host sus063
Mounted media ID 000429 on host sus063
Mounted media ID 000584 on host sus063
No database updates have been made.

In the NBU Console there is an Inventory job that started as part of the running the command above, it also errors out with the following error:
"media manager - system error occurred(174)"

I have created some debug directories within VolMgr\Debug but can't find anything concrete.

What am I doing wrong?
11 REPLIES 11

DavidParker
Level 6
Joseph,
This may be of some assistance:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/278556
In-depth Troubleshooting Guide for Exit Status Code 174 in NetBackup Server (tm) / NetBackup Enterprise Server (tm) 6.0

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Did you first do robot inventory, and then run vmphyinv?
By admin guide, I guess media should not be added by robot inventory but by vmphyinv.
Can you try to delete media once and run vmphyinv?

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Thanks for your reply.

I tried performing the command both ways:
1. with tapes inventoried via robot
2. using vmphyinv with slot range

However neither method worked.

After a little digging I found a related fix in MP4. After applying MP4 to my master the command worked as advertised.

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited
MP4 fixes this problem.

Document ID: 285941
http://support.veritas.com/docs/285941

Bill_Cotton
Not applicable
After MP4 ran into another problem. Getting media read error(85). Tried different block sizes for the scsi adapter ( symc8xx from LSI)(64K, 128K, 256K). Need further help.

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited
still having trouble finishing the import of the backup exec media.

chad_hartman_2
Level 4
Which phase are you getting the error at?

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Phase 2 during the import we're seeing these messages:

14:19:05 INF - Skipping Backup Exec backup having backup set number 21. Unsupported file system type :255
14:22:58 INF - Skipping Backup Exec backup having backup set number 22. Unsupported file system type :255
14:26:12 INF - Skipping Backup Exec backup having backup set number 23. Unsupported file system type :255
14:26:51 INF - Skipping Backup Exec backup having backup set number 24. Unsupported file system type :255

We're trying to restore SAP data from Backup Exec.
The documentation says only a few backup types are supported but I was hoping that we would be able to restore the files written to tape by Backup Exec even though it was on SAP.Message was edited by:
Joseph Correia

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Importing backup type "SAP" not supported.

Jim_Bush
Level 2
Partner
Anybody know if there a list of what is and what is not supported available anywhere? I was looking but so far have not had any luck. The import in question is for Lotus Notes. I'm guessing it is not supported:
10:52:08 INF - Skipping Backup Exec backup having backup set number 9. Unsupported file system type :37

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
http://www.symantec.com/Products/www/html/Data_Protection/nbu_compmatrix.html