Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing BackupExec Medias in Netbackup 7.1.0.1 with NBAC enabled

siddesh_onkari
Level 3

Hi techies,

Situation:

I am importing the medias which has the data backed up using BackupExec12.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH43584

In the first phase of import I am getting error

15:32:01 Mount of Backup Exec media with media id KRB710 having Media Manager volume database GUID {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} was requested, but GUID {3384fee4-6487-464f-b58b-d3b711a479fb} was found on tape. Must update GUID of KRB710 in Media Manager volume database and retry.

then referring to https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/importing-be

i did run

vmchange -g 87a409fe-35e8-499b-969e-3a284544b30e -m <media_id>

C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin>vmchange -g 87a409fe-35e8-499b-969e-3a284544b30e -m KRB710

I tried phase1 import again but I still get same error

15:40:07 Mount of Backup Exec media with media id KRB710 having Media Manager volume database GUID {87a409fe-35e8-499b-969e-3a284544b30e} was requested, but GUID {3384fee4-6487-464f-b58b-d3b711a479fb} was found on tape. Must update GUID of KRB710 in Media Manager volume database and retry.

can you please assist
rgds
Sid
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

siddesh_onkari
Level 3

Import Backup Exec Images into Netbackup for restore

1. Run an Inventory on the Robot after Market loads the Backup Exec Tapes in WRITE Protected mode.

1. Click Start to run an Inventory on the Robot

1. To update Volume Configuration with the new media’s Click Yes

1. Click Close and now the new Media’s will be updated in the Volume pool under Netbackup

1. After Inventory the new media’s will be in NetBackup  Volumepool

1. Run Robot inventory using the command below under c:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin

vmphyinv -rn <robot_number>  -ml <media_id>

For e.g.

c:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin>vmphyinv -rn 0 -ml VI2231

1. After running the vmphyinv command. It’ll ask us to update the GUID of Media from (XXXX) to (YYYY).

Click YES (y) to update the volume Configuration of the Media.

1. New GUID is assigned to the media & the same is updated in the EMM database of NBU.

1. The new media will be allocated to BackupExec volume pool.

Phase I:

1. Select Catalog and then select Initiate Import under Actions                (Top Toolbar)

1. Select Tape under Image type and enter the Media ID. Click OK

This is the Phase1 of Import which can be monitored in the Activity Monitor

1. After Import job completed successfully in the Activity Monitor start Phase 2.

Phase II:

1. Click Catalog , Select Import under Action

& Under Media ID: select the respective media and click Search Now to display the images (Bidfiles) on the respective Media ID.

1. Select all Images right click and Click Import

1. Phase 2 Import initiated and can be monitored in the Activity Monitor, after clicking OK in the Confirm Import window

1. The Import job will be completed successfully in the Activity monitor. Refer the job log or Results tab in the catalog window.

After this we can restore the data from this media which was backed up in the Backup Exec.

1. To proceed with the restore, we’ll open Backup, Archive & Restore option directly from Netbackup Console or through Program ->Symantec Netbackup -> Backup, Archive & Restore.

And the first thing we need to make sure is that the Backup exec client name is listed in Netbackup client list in “Specify Netbackup Masters & Policy Type”.

1. If the Client is not listed in the Netbackup Client properties, we can add it in the following way, after opening Backup, Archive & Restore.

Click: File -> Specify Netbackup Masters & Policy Type. Check under “Source client for restores” if the client name is mentioned. If not then click on Edit Client List and add the specified client name and click OK.

1. After adding client name we’ll select “Select from Backup Exec Backup” from the Drop down list underSelect for Restore option.

1. We can now see the data available for restore of the server which was backed up by Backup Exec. Select the required data which needs to be restored.

1. After the data is selected we’ll proceed with the restore by click on the Restore icon on the left side of the same Page where selection is made.

- This Icon indicates to Start the Restore of the Selected Files.

After clicking it another window will open which will give us multiple ways of restoring the requested the data.

1. Restore everything to the original location.
  2. Restore everything to different location.
  3. Restore Individual folders & files to Different location. (Double click on each Folder/file to redirect the specific data.

1. Once the restore job is forced we can see the progress either on the same Window, or we can see the progress in Activity Monitor in Netbackup Console. This is the Window which we see directly in Backup, Archive & restore window, with the progress of the restore.

In this way we can restore our data through Netbackup,  from the tape on which the data was backed up by Backup Exec.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

For Backup Exec Media you need to run vmpyinv first

I would delete the tape from NetBackup to allow you to start again and then re-inventory the library and follow the information in here

Once done you can import it

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH125069

siddesh_onkari
Level 3

Mark : I got the error as below

C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin>vmphyinv.exe -rn 0 -ml KRB710
authentication failed (187)
No drives configured for robot 0

please note we have the NBAC enabled, could it be because of this issue ?

siddesh_onkari
Level 3

Import Backup Exec Images into Netbackup for restore

1. Run an Inventory on the Robot after Market loads the Backup Exec Tapes in WRITE Protected mode.

1. Click Start to run an Inventory on the Robot

1. To update Volume Configuration with the new media’s Click Yes

1. Click Close and now the new Media’s will be updated in the Volume pool under Netbackup

1. After Inventory the new media’s will be in NetBackup  Volumepool

1. Run Robot inventory using the command below under c:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin

vmphyinv -rn <robot_number>  -ml <media_id>

For e.g.

c:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin>vmphyinv -rn 0 -ml VI2231

1. After running the vmphyinv command. It’ll ask us to update the GUID of Media from (XXXX) to (YYYY).

Click YES (y) to update the volume Configuration of the Media.

1. New GUID is assigned to the media & the same is updated in the EMM database of NBU.

1. The new media will be allocated to BackupExec volume pool.

Phase I:

1. Select Catalog and then select Initiate Import under Actions                (Top Toolbar)

1. Select Tape under Image type and enter the Media ID. Click OK

This is the Phase1 of Import which can be monitored in the Activity Monitor

1. After Import job completed successfully in the Activity Monitor start Phase 2.

Phase II:

1. Click Catalog , Select Import under Action

& Under Media ID: select the respective media and click Search Now to display the images (Bidfiles) on the respective Media ID.

1. Select all Images right click and Click Import

1. Phase 2 Import initiated and can be monitored in the Activity Monitor, after clicking OK in the Confirm Import window

1. The Import job will be completed successfully in the Activity monitor. Refer the job log or Results tab in the catalog window.

After this we can restore the data from this media which was backed up in the Backup Exec.

1. To proceed with the restore, we’ll open Backup, Archive & Restore option directly from Netbackup Console or through Program ->Symantec Netbackup -> Backup, Archive & Restore.

And the first thing we need to make sure is that the Backup exec client name is listed in Netbackup client list in “Specify Netbackup Masters & Policy Type”.

1. If the Client is not listed in the Netbackup Client properties, we can add it in the following way, after opening Backup, Archive & Restore.

Click: File -> Specify Netbackup Masters & Policy Type. Check under “Source client for restores” if the client name is mentioned. If not then click on Edit Client List and add the specified client name and click OK.

1. After adding client name we’ll select “Select from Backup Exec Backup” from the Drop down list underSelect for Restore option.

1. We can now see the data available for restore of the server which was backed up by Backup Exec. Select the required data which needs to be restored.

1. After the data is selected we’ll proceed with the restore by click on the Restore icon on the left side of the same Page where selection is made.

- This Icon indicates to Start the Restore of the Selected Files.

After clicking it another window will open which will give us multiple ways of restoring the requested the data.

1. Restore everything to the original location.
  2. Restore everything to different location.
  3. Restore Individual folders & files to Different location. (Double click on each Folder/file to redirect the specific data.

1. Once the restore job is forced we can see the progress either on the same Window, or we can see the progress in Activity Monitor in Netbackup Console. This is the Window which we see directly in Backup, Archive & restore window, with the progress of the restore.

In this way we can restore our data through Netbackup,  from the tape on which the data was backed up by Backup Exec.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Can you tell me what is different in your "Solution" is to what I said previosuly and the link I sent you?

You said that it did not work - but your solution uses the same commands that I linked you to

Just in case I have missed something here

Thanks

siddesh_onkari
Level 3

we did Expire media before inventory which resolved the issue..

Sorry I missed to add that point.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Still not with you - sorry.

What do you mean by expire the media? NetBackup did not know about it previously so how could you expire it?

What command did you use? I suggested deleting it in my thread to allow you a fresh start.

I am curious to know how you resolved this

Thanks