cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incomplete SLP's and Expiring images

cyclingfool
Not applicable

We are on NB 7.0.1 using slp's writing to EMC/DataDomain 880's.  Aix Master/Media and Windows 2003 32/64 Media.  We backup to primary DD 880 and second job in slp replicates to our DR site DD 880 and a third job rolls image to tape for retention purposes.  We keep images on first 2 jobs for 30 days for DR and restore capability.  Current problem is that we are so far behind in tape creation that primary copy is staying on DD unit longer than 30 days.  10GB upgrade plan is taking much longer than anticipated and will resolve this issue but for temporary relief, we have some slp's that we would like to cancel the roll to tape jobs on.  We have ran the nbstlutil stlist -incomplete and recieved a long list of incomplete images.  Being new to slp's I need to cancel some of these jobs, but I need to determine the primary image copy's creation date so that we only cancel the oldest images so NB will update slp as complete/canceled and then set primary copy to expire.  Not exactly sure the command to use to get this image written date info with the backup id? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Every image consist of hostname_backuptime. The backup time is a ctime value (32-bit) from epoch 1970-01-01 00:00:00.

To make it human readable, you can use the bpdbm -ctime <backuptime> on the master to figure out the actual date/time.

I sometimes use a spreadsheet to list the images I would like to remove from SLP management, and then use nbstlutil cancel -backupid <image name> on each.

Re-hydration performance issues is a common problem that I think almost everyone will come by when using de-duplication storage for backup, and tape as long-term at rest/final destination. 

SLP management will keep all image copies until the last destination copy exists. If you cannot remedy the re-hydration performance problem (with 10GbE) or other methods such as more powerful de-dup storage, then you could potentially combine SLP with good olé Vault. Let SLP handle backup and replication to disk, and let Vault duplicate selected images to tape.

By using this approach, the primary image can be expired as soon as a second copy exists. But still, what happens if the second copy expires before Vault can duplicate? Well, you could potentially use Infinity as retention, and let Vault expire second copy upon successful duplication to tape.

/A

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Every image consist of hostname_backuptime. The backup time is a ctime value (32-bit) from epoch 1970-01-01 00:00:00.

To make it human readable, you can use the bpdbm -ctime <backuptime> on the master to figure out the actual date/time.

I sometimes use a spreadsheet to list the images I would like to remove from SLP management, and then use nbstlutil cancel -backupid <image name> on each.

Re-hydration performance issues is a common problem that I think almost everyone will come by when using de-duplication storage for backup, and tape as long-term at rest/final destination. 

SLP management will keep all image copies until the last destination copy exists. If you cannot remedy the re-hydration performance problem (with 10GbE) or other methods such as more powerful de-dup storage, then you could potentially combine SLP with good olé Vault. Let SLP handle backup and replication to disk, and let Vault duplicate selected images to tape.

By using this approach, the primary image can be expired as soon as a second copy exists. But still, what happens if the second copy expires before Vault can duplicate? Well, you could potentially use Infinity as retention, and let Vault expire second copy upon successful duplication to tape.

/A

watsons
Level 6

I like AAlmroth's suggestion as an alternative (SLP + vault)

Btw, for the commands:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO36392

There is also a command to check from the image database: bpimagelist -L -backupid <backupID>

I always find this bpimagelist output very useful: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH5584

Look for those SLP-related fields.