cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Individual file restores of Linux VMs in NetBackup 7.1.0.4

DPO
Level 6

I want to know if it is possible to do Individual file restores of Linux VMs in NetBackup 7.1.0.4 without installing NetBackup agent on it. We are taking the backup of VMs using Vstorage API. We tested full VM recovery and it worked fine. Now want to know how to restore individual file to a linux vm that was backedup using vmware method. Change Block tracking is already enabled and we have configured incremental backups in the same policy type i.e. FlashBackup-Windows. And both full and incremental backups schedules exist in the same policy.

Also what is the procedure to restore full VM to a recent date on which incremental backup took place (I tested restore from last full VM backup but restore of full VM from incremental backups is failing)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DPO
Level 6

Thanks all for your answers.

It is clear that NetBackup 7.1.0.4 doesn't support individual file restore (no matter whether it is windows or unix), unless we install NetBackup client agent on the clients.

I have to convince my server admins that even though we take backup using VMware Vstorage API, you need to install NetBackup client agent for individual file recoveries .

Any suggestions or solutions ?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It is possible, but vmtools as well as SYMCquiesce (to quiesce the file system in preparation for taking the snapshot) must be installed in each VM.

See this TN plus all 'related links' : http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO70958

NetBackup for VMware: notes on Linux virtual machines

DPO
Level 6

Thanks Marianne.

But below article says, we need to have NetBackup agent installed for file level recoveries.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/individual-file-restores-linux-vms-netbackup-7104

I'm not sure what conclusion we need to give the customer.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I think I know what you are getting at ... lets see if this helps ...

You can do a single pass backup of LInux VMs that gathers the VMDK'd as well as individual files

You can restore the vmdk back to ESX via the NetBackup GUI

You can restore individual files via the NetBackup GUI, from that backup, but as they are treated as traditional restores they do not interact in any way with the vSphere API. As such they must be restored to a client that has a traditional NetBackup Client installed.

In general they would be restored to, say, the Media Server and then copied back to the original client.

If the original client had a NetBAckup Client installed then you could restore them directly to it

Hope this helps - basically individual file backups are done via the vSphere API - restore via NBU Client

Marianne
Level 6
It is the same as with Windows VMs - you can only restore individual files/folders to a physical or virtual machine where NBU client is installed. You can always restore to another client and copy files to VM.

Genericus
   VIP   

We are upgrading to 7.5.0.3, and initial testing indicates this is possible.

I had been told that installing the vmtools from 7.5 to a pre7.5 environment will allow this but was too chicken to try something that far out of the box, when I can upgrade to 7.5

Until then we did local installs of the client, as well as full VM backups.

Our plan b was  - restore the whole VM to a temp area and copy the file over.

NetBackup 10.2.0.1 on Flex 5360, duplicating via SLP to Access 3350, duplicating via SLP to LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

DPO
Level 6

Thanks all for your answers.

It is clear that NetBackup 7.1.0.4 doesn't support individual file restore (no matter whether it is windows or unix), unless we install NetBackup client agent on the clients.

I have to convince my server admins that even though we take backup using VMware Vstorage API, you need to install NetBackup client agent for individual file recoveries .

Any suggestions or solutions ?

Marianne
Level 6

You have two choices - restore full VM or restore individual to a machine where client is installed.

You may want to show server admins the NBU 'normal restore' process flow. Once everyone understands how this process works, it becomes perfectly clear why individual file can only be installed where NBU agent is running.

See Appendix A of Troubleshooting Guide or else this shortened version: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/downloads/netbackup-7x-process-flow