cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Initial connection trouble

NetBakAdmin
Level 3

I am having trouble connecting to one of my clients.

Description of environment:

Netbackup 6.5 

I am running the Admin Console on a Windows 2003 server.

The Master and Media server are both located on the same RedHat 2.6 server which has a stand alone tape drive from IBM on it.

The client I am having trouble with is also a RedHat 2.6 server.

I have all the host tables filled out, and the servers are set up to search the host tables first then DNS.

The client is not running a firewall, the master is and it is set up to be open to the client and the server running the Admin Console, by IP.

When I use the bpclntcmd tool to either –pn –hn or –ip from the client to/about the master I get good responses.

Summarily on the Master when I use bpclntcmd to ensure it is translating the client info (-hn and –ip) correctly it also succeeds.

But when I try to connect them via the Admin Console (go to Host Properties, Clients, and double click on the line with this particular clients info on it) I get an error 25 cannot connect on socket…

What else am I missing?

Message Edited by NetBakAdmin on 12-09-2008 11:40 AM
11 REPLIES 11

pinchaser
Level 3

If you are running the admin console via your pc then add put entries in the pc local hosts file and see if that resolves (the client might be outside your local dns search). 

If you are running the admin console from your master server are you sure you place the entries into those local hosts files?

Are you sure you matched case sensitivity from the output of "hostname" on the client within the policy and all associated hosts files?

NetBakAdmin
Level 3
First of all thanks for the response, I am so tired of fighting this by myself and getting NOWHERE!

I have added client and host servers (IP alias FQHN) involved into the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file on the PC I am running the Admin Console from.

I am not running the Admin Console on the Master server, I don't think I can, it is a redhat box and I don't think I can run the Admin Console on a box with that OS, if so I don't know how. If you can tell me how to I will gladly try that route.

Case sensitivity is not an issue, they are all lower case everywhere so it is easy to keep in check.

Thanks again for the thoughts, I will go back and check the hosts files one more time to be sure but I am pretty sure they are right. Plus the bpclntcmd tool is telling me they see each other, thats what is really throwing me here, if that works, then it should all work, or at least that is what I thought??? :(

pinchaser
Level 3

Connectivity from the Admin console (pc)  to the destination client does not go through the master server. It is directly between the admin console (pc) and the client.

Yes you can run /usr/openv/netbackup/jnbSA (admin console) from the Master using an Xterm Server from your desktop and setting the display back to your pc. I use bluezone but there are many opensource ones that work well too.

Are you sure that inetd is running on linux client? Are you sure that the ports are not being used for some other application on the linux client? Did you push the installation software from the client or do a manual install from media? Have you attempted to do a backup despite being able to connect via the pc admin gui? If so what error resulted?

I need more information to assist.

NetBakAdmin
Level 3

I will quote your response in mine and make comments:

Connectivity from the Admin console (pc)  to the destination client does not go through the master server. It is directly between the admin console (pc) and the client.  Thanks for the info I was unsure about this.

Yes you can run /usr/openv/netbackup/jnbSA (admin console) from the Master using an Xterm Server from your desktop and setting the display back to your pc. I use bluezone but there are many opensource ones that work well too.  I will start on this by saying I am new to this position and I did not do the install of this software, so I am not exactly sure on how it was done.  Having said that, that file is not in that directory on my master server.  I wish it was because I would love to take the PC out of the equation here and be dealing with only MAC's and Linux boxes, I am a Solaris admin by trade and I would love to leave the Windows stuff out of this if possible.  In the past I have admined NetBackup on only Solaris servers so this multi-OS environment is a bit out of my realm.  As I said before the Master/Media server is RedHat 2.6 can you direct me on how to install the proper stuff on it to run the Admin console from there and not the Windows server?  Also I will add I communicate with all the servers I am speaking about here using my MAC PC via ssh or an X11 terminal that comes with the OS X I run on it.

Are you sure that inetd is running on linux client? No I am not sure about that.  If I do a ‘ps –ef | grep inetd’ on the client I get nothing back (accept for a line showing the grep of course), how do I confirm it is running properly? 

Are you sure that the ports are not being used for some other application on the linux client? No I am not sure about this, how do I check?  Use netstat and grep for a certain port? 

Did you push the installation software from the client or do a manual install from media?  I installed it manually using the CD locally.  I couldn't figure out how to load the clients to the master to do a push so I just went with doing it locally.

Have you attempted to do a backup despite being able to connect via the pc admin gui? If so what error resulted?  No I have not, do you mean initiating one from the command line?  I have never attempted that before, I have only done them from the Admin Console.

I need more information to assist.  Thank you again for the help, I really appreciate it.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

If I read this correctly you are using the remote admin console from your pc. and then trying to go to client properties.

either

on the client go to the BAR and add your PC name to the list of servers.

or from the console on your master

bring up the properties of the client and add your pc name to the list of "additional servers"

the client must be able to resolve your pc name forward and reverse to allow you to open up the properties.

so also check dns for that client in relation to your pc.

NetBakAdmin
Level 3

If I read this correctly you are using the remote admin console from your pc. and then trying to go to client properties.  Yes that is correct.

either

By BAR I am going to guess you mean the Backup Archive and Restore interface on the client?  If so how do I do that?  I have always only interacted with the clients via the Admin Console in the past so this would be new to me.  The client is a RedHat box and I see no Icons, or programs listed for NetBackup, can I fire the GUI driven interface from the command line and pass it through back to it MAC using X11 or something?

or from the console on your master

bring up the properties of the client and add your pc name to the list of "additional servers" 

How do I do this?  I don't know of a GUI that I can run on the RedHat server that is my master server to get to things like this from there.  As I stated in the post above as an answer to the other gentlemen, I don't have the /usr/openv/netbackup/jnbSA file my /usr/openv/netbackup/ dir looks like this when I "ls" it:

[root@backupMS netbackup]# pwd
/usr/openv/netbackup
[root@backupMS netbackup]# ls
baremetal  client  help      nblog.conf           remote_versions  version_master
bin        db      help.<==  nblog.conf.template  tir_info         vfm_master.conf
bp.conf    dbext   logs      nbsvcmon.conf        version

the client must be able to resolve your pc name forward and reverse to allow you to open up the properties.

so also check dns for that client in relation to your pc. 

OK I think it is not in the DNS, but if I have all the servers set to look at the local hosts file first then wouldn't it be ok to not have the entry in DNS as long as it is in the hosts table on all the servers involved?

NetBakAdmin
Level 3

either

I don't know how to start the GUI for this on a RedHat client but I enteredtheFQHN of the server where the admin console is running into the bp.conf file under the entry for the master server, would that be equivalent to what you are asking me to do?  THis is what I did and it didn't help.

or from the console on your master bring up the properties of the client and add your pc name to the list of "additional servers" Still don't know how to access this on the master...

so also check dns for that client in relation to your pc.  When I use bpclntcmd -ip or -hn the client resolves both the master and the Admin Console running server fine...

Can anyone think of anything else?  Reinstall the client software?  If someone can tell me how to run the Admin Console from a RedHat server that would be great too.

Thanks for the attempted help.

NetBakAdmin
Level 3
I was wrong, I am not running RedHat version 2.6 I am running 4.1.2-14 which is not supported to run the Admin Console of NetBackup 6.5.  As far as I can tell.

I found this out by looking at this link:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290196.htm

That told me the following were supported Linux platforms:

Linux

Open Enterprise Server, RHEL (ES) 3.0 (zSeries), RHEL 3.0 (AS), RHEL 3.0 (ES), RHEL 3.0 (IA64), RHEL 4.0, RHEL 4.0 (IA64), Red Flag AS 4.1, Red Flag AS 5.0 SP1, Red Flag DC Server 4.1, Red Flag DC Server 5.0 SP1, RedHat Enterprise Server 2.1 (AS, ES, WS), SLES 8, SLES 8 (IA64), SLES 9, SLES 9 (IA64), SuSe 9.0, SuSe 9.0 (zSeries), SuSe 9.2

Looks like it will run on 4 but not 4.1?

Am I correct?  When I try to run /usr/openv/java/jnbSA I get:

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /usr/openv/java/jre/lib/i386/libawt.so: libXp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

When I googled that it led me to the above mentioned link.

Is there any way around this?

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified

ok, let me try, if i can help u out, long back i faced the same kind of issue. but my server and clients are AIX boxes please let me have answers for the below questions.

what is the output of Bpclntcmd -pn on client?

what are the entries in bp.conf file on client?

entires in  /etc/hosts file?

whether  you have DNS entry for you client or not ?

how many host  names and ip's you got for your client?

i feel the problem  is due to improper resolution of server and client. after i did proper DNS entry , bp.conf and /etc/hosts file everything went fine.

NetBakAdmin
Level 3

@srikanthgubbala wrote:

ok, let me try, if i can help u out, long back i faced the same kind of issue. but my server and clients are AIX boxes please let me have answers for the below questions.

I have changed the names of the severs involved and removed the IP’s for security purposes.

what is the output of Bpclntcmd -pn on client?

[root@client bin]# ./bpclntcmd -pn
expecting response from server master.uc.edu
client client.uc.edu "correct IP" 50974

what are the entries in bp.conf file on client?

SERVER = master.uc.edu
SERVER = AdminConsole.uc.edu
CLIENT_NAME = client.uc.edu

entires in /etc/hosts file?

# Do not remove the following line, or various programs
# that require network functionality will fail.
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost client.uc.edu
::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
"correct IP for eth0" client client.uc.edu
"correct IP for eth1" client.uc.edu
"correct IP" master master.uc.edu

whether you have DNS entry for you client or not ?

The client is not in the DNS.** The master server and the server running the Admin Console are in the DNS.  **Literally right after I hit post on this, I received an email telling me they had added the client to the DNS.  SO now all servers involved are in the DNS.

how many host names and ip's you got for your client?

I have two IP's but only one host name. The IP for eth0 is routable and the IP for eth1 is not.

i feel the problem is due to improper resolution of server and client. after i did proper DNS entry , bp.conf and /etc/hosts file everything went fine.

Thank you for the help, in advance.

Message Edited by NetBakAdmin on 12-15-2008 05:58 AM
Message Edited by NetBakAdmin on 12-15-2008 06:02 AM

NetBakAdmin
Level 3
still no answer on this?  Am I not providing enough detail?  Or is it just that no one here knows?