cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing NetBackup 5.1 on RedHat Enterprise 4 x86_64.

Andrew_Bergman
Level 3
Hi,

I am in the process of building a new server to replace our current backup server running Sparc Solaris. The new server is running 64 bit RedHat Enterprise 4 Linux.

I have looked into the minimum requirements for running NetBackup on this architecture/OS on the compatibility list and found that I need:

Netbackup 5.1 MP4

I have 5.1 Install Media, however I cannot seem to locate a maintenance pack download anywhere. I have been through the Symantec support site downloads and though there a few patches there I could not find one that jumped out at me saying "I am 'Maintenance Pack 4, download me!'".

Can someone please give me some assistance finding this patch and getting this installed? I gather I need to patch the installation not the installed files since I could not complete a 5.1 install - I got to the point in the installation of the NB server where it asks for the serial number, I entered it and when i pressed enter it gave an error because the executable was built for what appears to be Linux 2.4.

Anyone?

Cheers

Andy
13 REPLIES 13

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I'm exausted by this new interface here, too.

You can find Maintenance Pack 5 with Knowledge Base.
Enter "51_5_M" as keyword, and select "Linux" on platform.

Knowledge Base:
http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/support/knowledge_base.jsp?pid=15143

Andrew_Bergman
Level 3
Thanks for the reply Yasuhisa, I am a bit confused however.

I went to the knowledgebase and searched for 51_5_M under Linux, however I found:

Maintenance Pack NB_LOT_51_5_M.linux2.4.tar provides updates and fixes for Veritas NetBackup (tm) Enterprise Server / Server 5.1 for Lotus Database Agent on Linux platforms.

NB_LOT_51_5_M

Maintenance Pack NB_SAP_51_5_M.linux64.tar provides fixes to Veritas NetBackup (tm) Enterprise Server / Server 5.1 for SAP Database Agent on Linux 64-bit platforms.

NB_SAP_51_5_M

Maintenance Pack NB_SAP_51_5_M.linux2.4.tar provides fixes to Veritas NetBackup (tm) Enterprise Server / Server 5.1 for SAP Database Agent on Linux platforms.

NB_SAP_51_5_M

Which of these do I need??? I am not running any Database Agents so I would hazard a guess that none of the above is what I need.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Sorry, here are direct links.
KB does not give us what we want. I hate this new search interface. :(

Patch for server software:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/283083

Patch for client software:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/283093

Patch for Java GUI:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/283112

If you are to use some other options(encryption, advanced client, etc), you should to get additional patchs.

DavidParker
Level 6
Andrew,
All those results you saw were for various features in NetBackup.
With *nix, you have to patch each feature that you have installed.

So, if (for example) you have NetBackup with the Oracle and DB2 feature (there are tons of other features to choose from), you will have to patch the following:

NB_CLT__51_5 (this is the clients patch; you have to install it on your master before you can patch the core install; this install will automatically kick off the core install patch when it finishes, provided that you have the patch files extracted in the same location)

NB_51_5 (core NetBackup patch)
NB_ORA_51_5 (patch for Oracle agent)
NB_DB2_51_5 (patch for DB2 agent)

Without any agents, you just need the first 2 patches. Un-tar them in the same location and run the Vrts_pack.install script. Choose the CLT patch first and let it run. It will automatically kick off the other patch when it completes.

Obviously you will want to have your NetBackup services shutdown before upgrading: /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/netbackup stop

$0.02

Andrew_Bergman
Level 3
One question I still have is how do I patch as part of the install process?

In my previous install attempts it failed DURING the installation, at the point where it asks for the server licence key. So surely I need to patch the installation files not post-install?

Andy

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
> In my previous install attempts it failed DURING the installation, at the point where it asks for the server licence key.

I've never been asked in patch installation.
I usually do as follows after completion of initial install:

1. extract tar files into working dir.

2. stop NetBackup

3. run Vrts_pack.install

3-1) select NB_60_x_M to install server patch. This also installs client patch

3-2) select NB_JAV_x_M to install Java patch.

3-3) install additional patchs if you have.

4. run new_clients(/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/new_clients) to enable new platforms added by those patchs.

5. start NetBackup

6. run update_clients(/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/update_clients) to distribute patched client software.

Andrew_Bergman
Level 3
I think you misunderstand :)

I have no install currently. I am installing from scratch on a new server.

So during the actual install process of the NB server component it asks for the licence key.

I wonder if, because at that point it appears to have completed copying the files onto the disk, I can just not enter a licence key, install the patches and then continue with the install now having correct binaries in place which will execute on RHEL4 64bit

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
OK, I know.

I usually enter license keys and configure hosts in initial install, then apply patch although HCL tells us we have to apply MP to work as server. This way works so far.

If you want to apply patchs before configuration, try to quit initial installation when installer asks keys. Then apply patch and run install_bp(/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/install_bp) to configure your host.
But I've never tried this way. Good luck!

Andrew_Bergman
Level 3
I think you misunderstand :)

I have no install currently. I am installing from scratch on a new server.

So during the actual install process of the NB server component it asks for the licence key.

I wonder if, because at that point it appears to have completed copying the files onto the disk, I can just not enter a licence key, install the patches and then continue with the install now having correct binaries in place which will execute on RHEL4 64bit

Andrew_Bergman
Level 3
oops, double post, please ignore. :)

Andrew_Bergman
Level 3
nup, still no joy.

I installed NB, got to server licence key entry point and cancelled the install

installed the patches using Vrts_install

ran installer again as recommended in earlier post, entered licence key and got message:

: /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpminlicense: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (127)

A NetBackup Server or Enterprise Server license key is needed
for installation to continue.

:(

anyone?

Andrew_Bergman
Level 3
I have resolved this issue :)

I am missing compatibility library:

compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.118.i386.rpm

I had to copy across and install the i386 libgcc rpm from another RHEL4 box here to satisfy a dependancy but after that NetBackup installed fine.

Cheers everyone who replied for the help :)

Andrew_Bergman
Level 3
resolved :)