cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrating an EMC Data Domain Unit with Netbackup 7.6

gregsih
Level 4

Hi

We are currently attempting to integrate an EMC Data Domain unit into out Netbackup system. The Data Domain will be used as a disk storage unit.

From our initial findings the Netbackup Master (RHEL 6) can not see the Data Domain. The reverse is also true.

The documentation indicates that an OST plugin is required but we can find no trace of any plugins on our systems.

Has anybody successfully configured a Data Domain into Netbackup 7.6 ?

GH

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You need to get it from EMC, its their software.  Since you got a Data Domain and paid for the BOOST feature I am sure EMC happily will help you get the BOOST plugin. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You need to download the BOOST plugin from EMC powelink site. Installation procedure for the BOOST plugin is documented in  EMC® Data Domain Boost for administration guide:

https://support.emc.com/docu53509_Data-Domain-Boost-3.0-Administration-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

You will find this doc interesting as well:

EMC Data Domain Boost for  Symantec NetBackup OpenStorage Best Pratices.

https://japan.emc.com/collateral/software/white-papers/h7296-data-domain-boost-openstorage-wp.pdf

gregsih
Level 4

Hi Nicolai

We have loaded the BOOST plugin but still the NBU master cannot see the Data Domain unit. I also note that our external_types.txt file shows the DataDomain as a tape unit not a disk unit. Could this be the reason?

GH

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

The boost plugin is normally configured on media servers.

Did you also configure the storage server in Netbackup ?

How do you plan to connect the data domain to media servers - via IP or SAN ?

You can get the latest device mappings here :

https://sort.symantec.com/checklist/install/nbu_device_mapping

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Not sure what you mean with "the NBU master cannot see the Data Domain "?

All you need is network connectivity and appropriate licences - either Data Protection Optimization (that includes Advanced Disk) or Platform Base Complete Edition.

Can you see 'Configure Disk Storage Servers' in the main NBU window?

See NetBackup OpenStorage Solutions Guide for Disk 

gregsih
Level 4

Hi Nicolai

Looks like we missed a step - adding the boost plugin to the media server. We plan to configure the Data Domain via FC as SAN.

GH

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

After installing the BOOST plug-in you must configure a storage server. A storage server is a pointer to a OST storage device. Without the storage server Netbackup will never detect the Data Domain.

See page 53 for installing a storage server in the first link in my first post (the  Data Domain Boost for administration guide).

gregsih
Level 4

Hi Nicolai

Can the BOOST plug-in be downloaded from anywhere or is it supplied on the datadomain?

GH

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You need to get it from EMC, its their software.  Since you got a Data Domain and paid for the BOOST feature I am sure EMC happily will help you get the BOOST plugin. 

gregsih
Level 4

Hi Nicolai

Thanks for the information you have been most helpful. Now on to EMC. Thanks again.

GH

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Glad I could help :)