cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTO4 & Netbackup

Ira_Brock
Level 5
 Hello,

As far as I can tell, Netbackup 6.5.4 (Windows) does not fully support LTO4 tapes and drives. I know that it considers them hcart tapes and not hcart4 because hcart4 was never put in to the software. My question is, how should I go about loading a new LTO4 robot in to Netbackup along with tapes, and a few cleaning tapes, so that they work properly.

From reading articles across the Internet, it appears that all I need to do is load the robot like normal (Netbackup adds it as an hcart robot), and then load the tapes as normal.

I am unable to find any type of "LTO4" guide for netbackup online, and want to make sure I do it correctly, the first time.
Do I need to set up a barcode rule that will add the tapes as normal 1/2" Cartridges, or is that not necessary? Is there anything I need to consider or make sure I set up while configuring an LTO4 robot and media?

I have noticed, unless I am doing something wrong, that when I enter tapes in to this library, it does not automaticly load them like it does with my LTO3 robot. Is this because of the lack of proper LTO4 support in Netbackup?

Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Document ID: 295519
http://support.veritas.com/docs/295519

DOCUMENTATION: When adding a new drive of type LTO4/Ultrium 4, there is no drive type of HCART4 or media of type 1/2" cartridge tape 4.

Details:
ERROR CODE/MESSAGE:
N/A

ENVIRONMENT/CONDITIONS:
StorageTek SL500 tape library
IBM Ultrium-TD4, Model 7381 tape drives

EVIDENCE:
N/A

SOLUTION/WORKAROUND:
The Ultrium-TD4 is supported as a drive type HCART during detection of this drive with the "Configure Storage Devices" wizard.  When adding media for this drive type with the "Configure Volumes" wizard, the correct media type is "1/2" cartridge tape."  NetBackup supports three different media densities for each tape library controlled drive type, TL(X), when those drive types have multiple densities.  When a fourth evolution of a density is released for a drive type, the density nomenclature used by NetBackup rolls back to the first density type.  The correct drive type and media density selected for a drive should be the type suggested by the NetBackup Administration GUI wizard.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Document ID: 295519
http://support.veritas.com/docs/295519

DOCUMENTATION: When adding a new drive of type LTO4/Ultrium 4, there is no drive type of HCART4 or media of type 1/2" cartridge tape 4.

Details:
ERROR CODE/MESSAGE:
N/A

ENVIRONMENT/CONDITIONS:
StorageTek SL500 tape library
IBM Ultrium-TD4, Model 7381 tape drives

EVIDENCE:
N/A

SOLUTION/WORKAROUND:
The Ultrium-TD4 is supported as a drive type HCART during detection of this drive with the "Configure Storage Devices" wizard.  When adding media for this drive type with the "Configure Volumes" wizard, the correct media type is "1/2" cartridge tape."  NetBackup supports three different media densities for each tape library controlled drive type, TL(X), when those drive types have multiple densities.  When a fourth evolution of a density is released for a drive type, the density nomenclature used by NetBackup rolls back to the first density type.  The correct drive type and media density selected for a drive should be the type suggested by the NetBackup Administration GUI wizard.

Ira_Brock
Level 5
Regarding the second issue using this robot. We have 2 HP EML robots. Only one robot will automatically catalog its media when the media access ports are closed. Both robots are identical in library models, although the one robot that will not catalog its medai when the door is closed is the LTO4 robot. Is this because NBU doesn't recognize LTO4, or did HP change something on the robot model?

For reference, I have verified the following line in my vm.conf file:
AUTO_UPDATE_ROBOT

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

if both libraries are the same, check the config of the library and how they are setup.  I don't think it has anything to do with it being LTO4 drives.

Will_Restore
Level 6
I guess that makes sense to somebody (everybody but me?) but why didn't they just call it HCART4?

Ira_Brock
Level 5
I have run through the configs of each a few times now, and both look alike. I will attempt to speak with HP regarding that as well.

Would it matter that one of the robots is attached to a media server, and the other is on the actual master server?