cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large Master Server Migration

Scott_Gibbons
Level 4
Good Day All,
I am hoping someone can help me out here. Over the next several months i have to migrate 17 master servers to new hardware. Unfortunately for me, all of the hostname's are changing and I can not keep the same host name. So the golden question is..... How do i do it? I spoke with Tech Support and they will tell me because it is not supported. All servers are master/media.

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Scott Gibbons
26 REPLIES 26

DavidParker
Level 6
Scott,
What Operating Systems are involved here?
NBU Versions?
Etc?
What exactly do you need to migrate? All of the backup images? The policies/schedules?

Yes, if you're changing the hostname of the master server, you can't just do a straight 'migrate', especially of images. You'll have to do a fresh install and configure I think.

You can 'migrate' policies/schedules easily as they are merely files on the system (/netbackup/db/class/).

I think, if you're going to need access to old backups, you're probably going to have to import the pertinent tapes.

PS. I'm a Former Detroit Area Resident =) Go Tigers!

Stumpr2
Level 6
Scott,
Tell us a little bit more about what you will be doing.
Are the libraries and tape drives changing?
Are ther SAN disks involved?
Are you trying to set up a DR site?
Are you changing platforms UNIX - windows or vice-versa?

are you EDS?

Go Tigers
Norm Cash, Dick McAuliffe, Dick Tracewski, Tom Matchik, Don Wert,
Al Kaline, Mickey Stanley, Jim Northrup, Wille Horten, Bill Freehan,
Mickey Lolich, Denny McClaine, Pat Dobson, Earl Wilson, Gates BrownMessage was edited by:
Bob Stump

DavidParker
Level 6
Bob, I think you need to throw in a 'Go Tigers!' too =)

Scott_Gibbons
Level 4
Sorry i guess that would help! :)
5.1 MP3

I need to migrate everything over. A new install is cool by me, the OS is windows 2003

Thanks again

Scott_Gibbons
Level 4
Sorry Go Tigers!!

Scott,
Tell us a little bit more about what you will be doing.
Are the libraries and tape drives changing? Only in 1 site going from single drive sdlt 300 to sdlt 600 library

Are ther SAN disks involved? None

Are you trying to set up a DR site? No, its a server consolidation

Are you changing platforms UNIX - windows or vice-versa? Windows to windows. most will be 2003 to 2003 some may be 2000 Server to 2003

Thank you again for your help!!! Go Tigers.

DavidParker
Level 6
Scott,
Sounds like you'll have some work to do.

My first suggestion: Upgrade to MP5! Pre-MP5, NBU does not back up the entire System State on Windows 2003. See this tech note: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/280511.htm

Next: How much of your old backups will you need access to? All? Not many? 'As needed'?

I think what you should do is this:
Build your new server with a fresh install of NBU.
Copy over your existing policies/schedules (you will need to add the new server name to each client's list of servers allowed).
Start using the new server and deactivate the old one (don't toss it out yet though).
See how things go.
If you need data from an old tape, use the old server to determine which tape you need (and possibly to do the restore from) and import that tape into the new server.

Kind of a basic gameplan there; feel free to modify as your needs require.

DP

Stumpr2
Level 6
Jason,

Read this link, or answer I gave some time ago.

http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4425893

JD

http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4411415

http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4418739

Bob if he cant finger that out then why is he working on servers!

Message was edited by:
James Dunn

Message was edited by:
James Dunn

Scott_Gibbons
Level 4
Man this is going to be a mess i think. To add to the frustration, this is all occurring in europe and asia, so i will be doing much of this remotely. In most cases the old veritas server is going to be immediately rebuild and is designated for another function. Basically i need to completely migrate from one server to the next without relying on any legacy equipment. All from my little seat here in Michigan.

DavidParker
Level 6
Dang!
How big are each of these sites?
Do you have an estimate on how many tapes are being used at each one currently?
How often do they do restores and from how far back?

Seems like, from one of the threads Bob posted, that you might be able to migrate the image db, etc. Honestly I thought that that wasn't possible, but if it is, that's your solution.

Scott_Gibbons
Level 4
Some sites are 20 people. other are several hundred.

Is my best bet to just build the new system and import the media say 6 months worth? We could get a media report for the current server and the local admin could use the spreadsheet to find the tapes from that time peroid and import them when needed?Message was edited by:
Scott Gibbons

zippy
Level 6
Scott,

Listen to Bob, I have been through this before and more than once, by the way Symantec or Veritas keeps this info hidden, they want to bill your company for professional services to get it done, dude they are folks just like us! Except we work for POINTS!

Dont forget to give BOB many Points!

JD

Scott_Gibbons
Level 4
James Thank you. Is this the document you are speaking of

Hampus,

This is how you do it.

First

Do you want to keep the same host name? This is preferable but not nessesary.

Install NB on the LINUX box, and copy the databases from the HPUX server to the LINUX box. Make sure the DNS works.

Copy this from the HPUX server to the LINUX Server

/usr/openv/netbackup/db
/usr/openv/volmgr/database
/usr/openv/var
/usr/openv/java/auth.conf

Turn off the HPUX Server so the IP and host name dont conflict.

Turn on the New Netbackup Proc's on the new servers

Put all Scheds on hold. or kill bprd

Configure the Hardware, hardware working now?

Then do a test of ONE server.

your done....

Say you dont want to keep the same hostname?

edit the bp.conf and the vm.conf file like the threads below.

http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4411415�

http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4418739�

copy DB's to the LINUX server

Dont upgrade anything unitl you are happy that all works well......!

Bink your done.

DavidParker
Level 6
Ah, so my input is completely useless, eh? =P

Thanks!

Scott_Gibbons
Level 4
No not at all. I am just trying to read all of this info and put it together. :)

DavidParker
Level 6
Sorry, that comment was for JD.

I did talk to another Administrator friend of mine and got some additional input.
He is soundly of the theory that you should be able to run an import on a catalog tape from the old master and effectively migrate your server.
I haven't personally tested that method, but I have the means and an excuse to do so. Hopefully I can try that out tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

DP

Scott_Gibbons
Level 4
That would be awesome. I just received a call from TS at veritas. They told me the supported method was to install new and do a 2 phase tape import.

DavidParker
Level 6
Of each tape??
Ouch, can you say "long process"?

Hmm, wasn't that basically my original suggestion? ;)

Of coruse, it's possible that TS is just giving out the quickest/easiest answer for THEM and not necessarily the best answer for you ...

Scott_Gibbons
Level 4
You are correct on all accounts!!

DavidParker
Level 6
> You are correct on all accounts!!

Ah, every Net Forum Troll's fondest wish; to be right!

Actually, when JD and Bob suggest something I would trust their suggestion; those guys know what they're talking about!