Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing DB in solaris zone

peter12
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi:

Please help me with the following licensing question:

It's been said that i only need 1 license per physical server, and 1 Application and DB Pack per physical server as well, i''l be working with informix DB's running in solaris zones.

So, could you please advise wich licensing is correct:

a) 1 Standard Client License + 1 Application & DB Pack: I buy 1 standard Client License and install the client binaries in as many zones (containers) as      i want, and register only 1 App and DB Pack to protect all informix databases, each in its respective container, in that physical server.

b) 1 Enterprise Client License + 1 Application & DB Pack: Similar (kind of) licensing an ESX for VMWare, i need an enterprise client license to backup          all clients installed in the local (non-global) zones, just 1 App & DB Pack needed.

c)  Lots of Standard Client Licenses: Since i'm installing one NetBackup client within each zone (container), in order to backup each informix                    database, i must license each standard client separately, just 1 App & DB Pack needed.

In case "a)" and "b)" Netbackup Server licensing would be ok (no media servers, dedup or fancy stuff), only in case b) i would need to license Enterprise Server. 

My guess is "a)" but i want to make sure

Best Regards ¡

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

"a" is correct.

There is a seperate doc that deals with NBU and Solaris zones. 
Will look for it and update this post.

*** EDIT ***

Licensing is actually covered in NBU Licensing Guide - you can download it from PartnerNet.

Extract: 

The guidelines for licensing virtual environments are, in summary:
  • The license platform is determined by the physical host on which the Virtual Machines (VM) reside. For example, Hyper-V, VMware, XenServer hosts are x86, while a Solaris SPARC LDOM host is UNIX.
  • The license tier is determined by the physical host system as documented in the HW tier appendix. The VM configurations do not apply.
  • Database agents are licensed “once per application or database type” on the physical hosting server, not by individual VMs. For example, a VM host that runs SQL Server and Exchange will require two (2) agent Packs, one for all SQL instances in all VMs, and one for all Exchange instances in all VMs.
  •  When a protected VM is copied, moved, or otherwise transferred between physical hosts, each participating physical host must be licensed, e.g. clustering, load-balancing, replication, etc.

So, YES - "a" is the correct licensing option.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

"a" is correct.

There is a seperate doc that deals with NBU and Solaris zones. 
Will look for it and update this post.

*** EDIT ***

Licensing is actually covered in NBU Licensing Guide - you can download it from PartnerNet.

Extract: 

The guidelines for licensing virtual environments are, in summary:
  • The license platform is determined by the physical host on which the Virtual Machines (VM) reside. For example, Hyper-V, VMware, XenServer hosts are x86, while a Solaris SPARC LDOM host is UNIX.
  • The license tier is determined by the physical host system as documented in the HW tier appendix. The VM configurations do not apply.
  • Database agents are licensed “once per application or database type” on the physical hosting server, not by individual VMs. For example, a VM host that runs SQL Server and Exchange will require two (2) agent Packs, one for all SQL instances in all VMs, and one for all Exchange instances in all VMs.
  •  When a protected VM is copied, moved, or otherwise transferred between physical hosts, each participating physical host must be licensed, e.g. clustering, load-balancing, replication, etc.

So, YES - "a" is the correct licensing option.