cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Log file location

goSymantec
Level 3
Hi all,

In the Netbackup 6.0 System Admin GUI (jnbSA) running on Solaris 9, when monitoring the running jobs, where on the file system are the log files for those running jobs? I mean if one job produce an error and you can see it from the GUI, where is the location of the log file that contains those error messages

Best
6 REPLIES 6

DavidParker
Level 6
Not 100% sure about 6.0, but in 5.x it's /usr/openv/netbackup/db/jobs

This may be of use as well:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/278572
DOCUMENTATION: A comprehensive list of NetBackup (tm) 6.0 directories and commands relating to Unified Logging.

goSymantec
Level 3
Hi again,

Also how to run a backup for a policy from the CLI ?

DavidParker
Level 6
Initiating a backup from the client can be done in several ways.
You can use the Backup, Archive and Restore application.
Or you can manually run the bpbackup program.

Either of these depend upon 1 thing though:  On your master server, you have to have a "User" Schedule in an appropriate Policy that has the client listed.  If there is no User schedule in any policy that the client is in, the job will fail (because the client is not allowed to initiate a backup).

Or did you mean: Command Line Interface?

Message Edited by David Parker on 10-10-2007 12:15 PM

goSymantec
Level 3
Yes I meant Command Line Interface, i.e. to initiate the backup from the server it self using command line interface for a spoecific policy

Best

DavidParker
Level 6
I can't remember what the exact command is, but I'm sure it's listed in here:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/279299
VERITAS NetBackup (tm) 6.0 Commands for UNIX

Stumpr2
Level 6

goSymantec wrote:
Yes I meant Command Line Interface, i.e. to initiate the backup from the server it self using command line interface for a spoecific policy

Best

A user on a client can initiate an immediate backup of a full or incremental schedule using the bpbckup command. This is not explained in the man pages for bpbackup. In fact the man pages state that you must be root on the master server to use the -i option. It states that only "user" backups can be initiated from the client..not true!

Steps for a user to initiate an -i "immediate" backup on the master.
1. enter the clientname on the master server bp.conf as SERVER = clientname
2. on master bprdreq -rereadconfig
3. on the client as root or administrator or use sudo (unix)

bpbackup -i -p $policyname -s $schedulename -h clientname -S masterservername

Doing it this way allows the use of exclude_list and include_list and there does not have to be a "user" schedule.