cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS-WINDOWS-NT type policy is completing partially

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

My MS-WINDOWS-NT type policy is completing partially. i am attaching the activity monitor logs as well

7/16/2009 8:23:37 AM - estimated 1099526 kbytes needed
7/16/2009 8:23:37 AM - started process bpbrm (4192)
7/16/2009 8:23:38 AM - connecting
7/16/2009 8:23:39 AM - connected; connect time: 00:00:01
7/16/2009 8:23:43 AM - mounting 0000L4
7/16/2009 8:24:29 AM - mounted; mount time: 00:00:46
7/16/2009 8:24:29 AM - positioning 0000L4 to file 109
7/16/2009 8:25:17 AM - positioned 0000L4; position time: 00:00:48
7/16/2009 8:25:17 AM - begin writing
7/16/2009 8:26:41 AM - Error bpbrm(pid=4192) from client HHDD: ERR - failure reading file: C:\HDD-0012\logs\pure-x_07-16-2009.log (WIN32 13: The data is invalid. )
7/16/2009 8:29:01 AM - end writing; write time: 00:03:44
the requested operation was partially successful(1)

The job was successfully completed, but some files may have been
busy or unaccessible. See the problems report or the client's logs for more details.

Thanks in Advance

10 REPLIES 10

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Find that the error stated is very spurious "The data is invalid", and it happens a LOT on various log files so it could be that they are actively being written to when NB tries to save them. We never got to the bottom of this & as they were log files didn't deem it necessary to pursue it further!

But someone else may have different advice.

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified
I also get something similar on some specific servers but the admin's have confirmed they will not be important for recovery;

15/07/2009 09:02:57 PM - Warning bpbrm(pid=1900) from xxxxxxxxxxx: WRN - can't open file: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\NetIQ\Security Manager\SafeShopCG\AgentResponseMgr.pqf (WIN32 32: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. )

Venkatesh_K
Level 5
Hi haseeb,

there are verious resons why your Windows backup is success with status 1
* Open files
* tmp files not accessable to Netbackup
* locked files
* Permission issue
 and few more,

isay client has some files open during ur netbackup trying to backup that files then it may leave that file and continue which may result in status 1. If you want to know which files are causing this issu you can enable logging and verify the logs to check which file has cused this problem.

below tech notes may be helpfull

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/278554.htm

Netbackup still trates this as successful backup.

Regards,
Venkat

Will_Restore
Level 6
you have to somehow quiesce or shutdown the application that produces them. 

Otherwise, add them to the exclude list
pure-x_*.log

Zahid_Haseeb
in the Veritas Netbackup Admin Console-->Host Properties-->VSP-->Busy FIles Settings i change the value from 5 to 3 and then my backup is going successfull with a status "0"      why?????????

--------------------------------------------------

Also let me understand what is the Busy File settings?? as shown in the below picture
imagebrowser image

Thanks in Advance

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified
Have you tried VSS instead of the VSP?

Zahid_Haseeb
No i used VSP which is default and my OS is win2000 advance server.for VSS i have to be a 2003 OS.

i just change the figure from 5 to 3 and my problem is resolved. i just wanted to know that why the problem is resolved even i just changed the value from 5 to 3.........i just wanted to know the reason

quebek
   VIP    Certified
"Busy file wait
The Busy file wait property specifies how long VSP waits for a quiet period (quiesce wait time) before a snapshot is created. A quiet period is a time during which no file write-activity occurs on the drive being snapped using VSP. (Default: 5 seconds.) A value less than 5 seconds is not recommended because the data that is backed up as a result of a low setting may become corrupted."
Are You sure Your files are not corrupted?? I would leave default value and start thinking of excluding these files from backup.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

So, Zahid, when it was set to 5, the file was skipped, but when it was set to 3, the file was written?

It sounds to me like that particular log was being written to just about every four seconds.  ;)

Zahid_Haseeb
Thank you so much CRZ for your kind help. What i have understand you can see in the below BLOG link

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/how-netbackup-takes-flat-files-backup-which-constantly-open