cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSU still shows images after expiring

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited
DSU still shows images after expiring. Backup is not expiring even i expire the images and still some DSU's(not all DSU's) is showing the images

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rj_nbu
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
try running this

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbdelete -allvolumes -force

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimage -cleanup -allclients

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

rj_nbu
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
try running this

Zahid_Haseeb
Thanks rj for your kind reply but i am using Netbackup 6.5 for windows

Francis_Doran
Level 4
Hi Zahid

My understanding of the DSU is that it doesn't delete expired images until the disk is full, then it over writes the expired images. Is this not the case for you?
You can check the status of your DSU in the netbackup GUI to see what % of the disk is being used just to ensure that these images dont push you up to the High Water Mark.

Giroevolver
Level 6
Hi Zahid

Francis is correct however it doesn't overwrite the images it does a cleanup on the disk and deletes the images down to the low watermark. It wont do this process until the DSU hits the high watermark.

If your worried about it or you want to clear the DSU down to your low watermark, lower the high watermark to a percentage that is lower than the amount of disk space in use. Give it 5-10 mins and it will start a cleanup job and clear the disk down.

Thanks

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
same commands on windows, just in a different location.

Zahid_Haseeb
Thanks for kind replies. My policy is being failed bcuz my DSU backup is not being cleaned and bcuz no space my policy gets fail

Thanks in Advance

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Have a look at this TechNote - it's for NBU 5.x, but could possibly explain your problem:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/270079.htm

Zahid_Haseeb
HI rj_NBU

1st of all thanks and sorry for late reply

RJ as you said to use the below commands.........i only like to remove the images from a particular DSU. is it possible?.....
one thing i like to ask..the catalog is not able to show the images but when i see the DSU it shows the images :(

Thanks in Advance

Stumpr2
Level 6
Have you stopped/started NetBackup on the master and on the DSSU media server?

Zahid_Haseeb
Hi Stumpr
My master and media server is same. i am useto shutdown the Netbackup server every day. so no need to restart netbackup service. correct?

(Stumpr how can i just delete the images from the particular Disk Storage Unit (DSU) ? my images are delete from DSU when i manually expire the image from the catalog or when the images are auto remove at the time of retention but just 1 DSU is doing problem :(   )

i also would like to share the status message which comes when i try to expire the images from the catalog

7/24/2009 9:41:54 AM - begin
7/24/2009 9:41:54 AM - Info nbdelete(pid=3624) deleting expired images. Media Server: tpsbkp Media: "D:\Netbackup\Tech-Server1_HDA.Team_Manuals
7/24/2009 9:41:55 AM - Info nbdelete(pid=3624) deleting expired images. Media Server: tpsbkp Media: "D:\Netbackup\Tech-Server1_IRIS.Documantation
7/24/2009 9:41:55 AM - Info nbdelete(pid=3624) deleting expired images. Media Server: tpsbkp Media: "D:\Netbackup\Tech-Server1_IRIS.VSS
7/24/2009 9:41:55 AM - end ; elapsed time: 00:00:01
invalid command parameter(20)