cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make SLP to Span second copy of database on minimum tapes

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

Scenario:

1. RMAN backup done by using only ONE policy for all the RAC databases. 

2. One SLP used to Backup  to Advanced Disk ( on 3 media servers) and then duplicated using Tapes (1 Robot shared on 3 media servers)

3. Disk backup is retained for shorter duration and Tapes are retained for longer duration

Problem : Second copy of Database backup spans on several Tapes as SLP duplicates the backup of a database (primary or 1st copy is on distributed on Disk of three media servers) according to its own alogrithm.

When restore is required to be done from second copy, I will have to recall several tapes (4 to 5 times more)  instead of 2 or 3 tapes to get the restore done from Tape. So i do not want to span the Single database backup on several tapes instead SLP should duplicate to single or minimum number of Tapes.

Solution or suggestion to reduce the number of Tapes?? Appreicate your help.

3 REPLIES 3

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

There is no control within Netbackup to manage that.

You may try to tweak the setting called "Maximum partial full media"  to remedy the issue a bit. But it is more a workaround that a fix

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000037984

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

Thanks Nicolai for you suggestion. I had set the Max Partial Full media volume to 5. But thats not part of the puzzel.

My objective is for ONE single datbase backup, mimimum number tape should be used. The SLP process is distributing the backup pieces to many tape when second copy is created as we use Single Backup policy for all databases.

I thought of :

1. Create spererate Volume Pool for just these RAC jobs and do not mix the other jobs

2. Run parellel backups (inline copy) to Tape and Disk, but not sure it could affect the backup performance.

3. Use just one media server for backups so backup is done on single storage unit and while duplicating there is possiblity that single Datbase backup will be distributed to less tapes.

Any other thoughts please??

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I do not know if that will work, but test it out. As Mythbuster say "Failure is always a option" smiley