cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Server to Client question

Puffy
Level 6
Hi,

I'm trying to understand the difference between the master and media servers.

A new server arrives and I am wondering whether it is possible to only connect the Media server to the new client without a direct connection to the Master server. But the master and media server is connected.

One question is whether do I need a physical network connection between Master server and the client for backup and restore browse.

7 REPLIES 7

Stumpr2
Level 6

Puffy wrote:
One question is whether do I need a physical network connection between Master server and the client for backup and restore browse.

You do need a physical connection between the client and the media server. You do not need a network connection between the master and the client. But, that is a limited setup as you won't be able to manage exclude_lists and client properties from the master server.

Puffy
Level 6
Thanks for the reply.

I am trying to get Netbackup working with only client and media server with the Master server acting as a proxy to manage the backup or restore.

However I have some problems as the Netbackup client forces me to specify a Master server. This is impossible in my setup as the client is only connected to the Media server.

Netbackup 5.1 Windows
Master/Media Servers - Windows 2003
Client - WIndows 2003

Message Edited by Puffy on 04-24-2008 06:03 AM

Stumpr2
Level 6
Even though the client cannot directly communicate with the master server, The entry is still made in the client NetBackup configuration and also in the client hosts file.

ltr
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hi,

Maybe  an important information for you Puffy : if there is no connection between Master and Client, client will not be able to browse file catalog and finally will not be able to restore its owned files ....

But it is possible to launch restores from Master without any problem.

Stumpr2
Level 6

ltr wrote:
Hi,
Maybe  an important information for you Puffy : if there is no connection between Master and Client, client will not be able to browse file catalog and finally will not be able to restore its owned files ....

But it is possible to launch restores from Master without any problem.

truth

Puffy
Level 6
The backup seems to be working without Master connection.

I wonder how do you configure to restore process from the Master server ?

Thanks.

ltr
Level 3
Partner Accredited
From Backup and Archive interface of your Master, you can choose any sources of backup (client) to restore.